A Conversation for 24 Lies a Second: Brown and His Mound

35-yer-old Carey Mulligan is playing a woman of 55

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The last time I saw Carey Mulligan in a movie was eight years ago, when she would have been about 27. Now she looks 55! But the character she is playing would have been that age in 1938, so I have to tolerate it.

Apparently a ship was buried in one of the burial mounds. Did they bury ships in the 7th century? or was it just abandoned, and Nature covered it?

"The Dig" may be fascinating. Or not. I saw both "Downton Abbey" movies
and loved them. I've liked Carey Mulligan. I don't know if I want to see this movie...

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

They buried the ship - it was a major find.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/death-and-memory/anglo-saxon-ship-burial-sutton-hoo

Post 3

Thank you, Dmitri.

smiley - applause

Post 4

A Twitter user has responded to this review with some more information about Mr Brown. It's a fascinating read.

http://britainisnocountryforoldmen.blogspot.com/2021/01/is-britain-country-which-finally.html

Post 5

Awix

Interesting piece, but I think it's reacting to the movie more than this review (this translates as 'when I skimmed it I couldn't see my name anywhere').

I believe the Mulligan part was originally slated for Nicole Kidman, which would have been slightly more age-appropriate casting.

Post 6

Yes, but then it would have Nicole Kidman in it. smiley - laugh

Post 7

Both actresses are fine with me. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 24 Lies a Second: Brown and His Mound

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more