A Conversation for Unplanned Decoration

Great shot,Tav!

Post 1

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Did the birdie return to it's cage when it got hungry enough? Or did you need to chase it before the cat woke up?

Great shot,Tav!

Post 2

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

We searched for it for about 2 hours and then had to chase it. smiley - laugh The cat was fortunately already 'locked up' in the bedroom (originally so she could sleep in peace), so the bird was in no danger from her. We were rather afraid of not finding it at all.

Great shot,Tav!

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

So, this is a tropical bird that escaped into the outdoors?

I can't remember what you said about the weather in your area on Christmas Day, but in my area it was 60 degrees F., and rainy. A tropical bird would probably have no toruble in those conditions. smiley - smiley

Great shot,Tav!

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I believe the Christmas tree was in Tavaron's house. smiley - rofl Which is also where the zebra finches live. smiley - tit

Great shot,Tav!

Post 5

Is that a zebra finch? I gathered from the other posts in that thread that the bird in the photo was ordinarily inside.

But I did a quick check of the bird's range, and yes, it could live outdoors in Austria, though another website says that they are domesticated birds that should not be released into the wild. Isn't Google wonderful? It can also be misleading. smiley - sadface

Since I basically don't know what I'm talking about here, I will let someone else explain things, if they would be so kind.

Great shot,Tav!

Post 6

smiley - rofl I think you'd better. You're confusing everyone, big-time.

Great shot,Tav!

Post 7

I am not the sort of person who would settle for small-time anything, including confusion. At my best, I am able to channel Gracie Allen smiley - evilgrin.

Great shot,Tav!

Post 8

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Yes, the tree stands INSIDE of the house. The bird escaped it's cage, it did not get out of the house!

Zebra finches originally come from Australia, but they have been bred elsewhere for a long time. It is generally never a good idea to set your pet animals free in the wild. For various reasons, depending on the kind of animal it is. You just don't do it.

And no, it is not advised to keep zebra finches in temperatures below 10°C.

Great shot,Tav!

Post 9

FWR

So is your house not in Australia then... smiley - runsmiley - biggrin

Great shot,Tav!

Post 10

Thanks, Tavaron.

I once saw a yellow canary sitting on an electric wire with about a dozen native birds. It apparently escaped its cage and got outside.

Great shot,Tav!

Post 11

And we're sure this wasn't a goldfinch?

smiley - musicalnote 'Electrical banana, gonna be a sudden craze...' smiley - run

Great shot,Tav!

Post 12

"It is an important and popular fact that things are not always what they seem." Douglas Adams

Can I be sure it wasn't a goldfinch? No. It was too far away for me to see if it had black on its head and its wings. It seemed to be pretty much all yellow. But this was years ago. Time can affect your memories. smiley - smiley

I love goldfinches. They used to perch on the branches of a rather large chicory plant at the edge of my lawn.

Key: Complain about this post