A Conversation for The h2g2 Post 26.10.20

About groundhogs and their predictions...

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The folklore about rpedicting Spring is misapplied at best.

"The shadow-observing lore has no scientific basis. It was actually imported from a German tradition that bases forecasting on the behavior of the European badger"
http://now.tufts.edu/articles/five-things-you-didn-t-know-about-groundhogs

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

And you keep telling us this, why? smiley - rolleyes The Editor lives 30 miles from Punxsutawney. We are aware of this. This will not stop us from posting pictures of the photogenic groundhog in the Post Office Back Forty.

Only winter will do that. So go away with your skepticism. smiley - winkeye

We are also abundantly aware that the Germans in the Old Country used badgers. The Germans in the New Country (here) use the Grundsau, because it is plentiful.

For the real reason why the Grundsau is out on 2 February, be sure to read my November project, 'Coming of Age in Brookville', starting 1 November. Many Pennsylvania mysteries will be revealed. smiley - badger

Post 3

I am so sorry, Dmitri. I did not remember that I had told you this before. You probably knew it before I did, but that doesn't mean I wanted to annoy you.

You know more about this tan I ever will, so again I am sorry.

I look things up. I try to verify things. It makes me annoying. I can't get a DNA transfusion. smiley - sadface

Post 4

Try keeping notes? smiley - laugh When looking things up, keep h2g2 in mind! I am not offended: I merely don't feel obligated to pretend I DIDN'T know that.

For the edification of anyone who stumbles across this thread:

Information on groundhogs available in the h2g2 Guide and h2g2 Post:

A219755 Groundhog Day, edited guide entry by Jimi X.
A87928500 A Post Quiz on Groundhog Day
A87868778 The h2g2 Traveller: Punxsutawney Pilgrimage
A87843261 Freebie Film Tip #12: 12:01, the Other Groundhog Day
A87915351 Groundhog Sighting (A photo of Seymour)
A87996596 Everyday Groundhog (Photo of Seymour from two years later)
A87784131 Oddity of the Week: Can You Spell Punxsutawney?
A87847636 Oddity of the Week: Wake Me Up When Winter's Over

This should hold you till we get a rope. smiley - smiley

smiley - dragon

Post 5

I will check on those. smiley - run

Post 6

smiley - ok

Post 7

smiley - wow

There is so much to learn in the Edited Guide.

Thank you for pointing this out, Dmitri.

Post 8

Sure! smiley - biggrin We can't say this often enough - which is what Robbie Stamp said today, too. smiley - winkeye

Post 9

Here's a confession: Until about two years ago, I did not read the Post as assiduously as I do now. Things that were mentioned in it escaped me. So it wasn't a question of not taking notes. It was more like not having anything to take notes on.

And, sometimes I do try H2G2's database first. It's just hit or miss, like much of my life now.

I will try to think of these things. Will I succeed? Who knows?

I would rather not be in the way. On the other hand, I used to like discussing things. I still do. I can learn new things. We all can. smiley - smiley

Post 10

Sure. smiley - laugh

Hot tip: At the bottom of each and every Post page is a link to 'Back Pages'. The 'Back Pages' page links to other...er, Back Pages.

It is actually possible to surf every Post issue from the Dawn of Time, aka 1999...

With, I believe, the exception of the two issues we put on a blogspace while transferring the servers. smiley - rofl But I provided a summary for that, I think...

Post 11

I have, indeed, gone back to previous Post issues. If you have a photographic memory, you wouldn't need to. I've drifted along, focussed on one project or other as if it deserved my full attention. Call it tunnel vision, and you'd be right. I give everything all I have. I appreciate what other writers are doing. I feel unique, which can be good and bad. I think it has made me lonely. Now I miss some of the great researchers who no longer come here. This makes me sad...

Key: Complain about this post