A Conversation for Nine-Spotted Moth

Really beautiful!

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I tried looking up info on this beautiful moth, and found some pictures in which the wing color was blue!

Who knew that moths could be so lovely?

Really beautiful!

Post 2

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Great shot Tav! I envy you with all your wildflowers. Between the hot,dry weather and the voracious deer, all we have here are a couple of zinnias. No sunflowers as we were late planting them and either the deer or the ground hog ate them down to the ground. Have a great week with all your children!

Really beautiful!

Post 3

Our local groundhog ate some of my neighbor's hostas (expected), but then nibbled on Echinacea and Rudbeckia. It tried to devastate my shade-loving perennial sunflowers, but they had too many shoots for the groundhog to get them all. They are blooming marvelously now. smiley - ok

iplanted a lot of native wildflowers that rabbits are said to avoid. The griouyndhog avoids them, too.

All except for common milkweed. Nevetheless, the milkweed has all grown back and will probably be all right.

I also have three swamp milkweed plants. They are blooming with abandon, and they are unscathed. I planted them under my eaves so they would get plenty of rainwater.

Really beautiful!

Post 4

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

A question please: (if there's an answer ?)

When resting with the wings upright - it's classed as a butterfly, but if the wings are horizontal in-line with the body, it's classed as a moth ?
Is there any reason why this so ?

Really beautiful!

Post 5

"On the behavioral side, moths are nocturnal and butterflies are diurnal (active during the day). While at rest, butterflies usually fold their wings back, while moths flatten their wings against their bodies or spread them out in a "jet plane" position."
http://www.livescience.com/34472-difference-between-moth-butterfly.html

these differences are observational, not causal. We don't know why the deities or evolution came up with them.

Really beautiful!

Post 6

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Thank you all! smiley - smiley

I find that the distinction between butterflies = day and moths = night is very fictional. I only know there are just different ways to fold the wings and I definitely see quite a lot of 'moths' in broad daylight. But what seems right is that there are no butterflies that are active during the night.

Really beautiful!

Post 7

I wonder where they go at night, then. smiley - huh

Really beautiful!

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

They must huddle under leaves to keep sheltered smiley - biggrin

Another difference between moths and butterflies is their antennae - butterflies have antennae with a 'blob' (for want of a better word) at the top smiley - bluebutterfly and moths have no blob - eg here the pale bit on the antennae is the same width as the dark part.

Great photos - the second one really shows the detail of the shape and pattern, but I also like the top one, showing its tongue smiley - biggrin

Really beautiful!

Post 9

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - eureka Thanks for explaining.

I think the one at the top is more pretty but the one at the bottom is probably more educational.

Really beautiful!

Post 10

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Yes, indeed, thanks - I did not know all that! smiley - orangebutterfly

Really beautiful!

Post 11

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

http://butterfly-conservation.org/news-and-blog/what-is-the-difference-between-butterflies-and-moths

err! Butterflies know english ? smiley - ermsmiley - ermsmiley - ermsmiley - ermmoths don'tsmiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post