A Conversation for A Boat Ride in the Everglades (With Video)

Nice ride

Post 1

cactuscafe

I love that boatride video, I'm there! Even though I'm not there. Cruising through the Everglades!

What's the air temperature? Warm air, cool air? I think warm air, but can't figure the degrees celsius. This knowledge will make my picture complete.

Extraordinary wonder. The pink bird. I know not the species. How to ever describe the light on the wings of this extraordinary creation?

Nice ride

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Isn't that spoonbill gorgeous? smiley - magic It will be extensively tweeted.

Nice ride

Post 3

Phred Firecloud

The pink bird is a Roseate Spoonbill. We have them in the backyard all the time...it's a joy to catch a shot of one in flight...

The air temperature? It's Florida so I'm going to say 21 to 25 Centigrade...

Glad you enjoyed the ride...your drive was an ex-convict drug smuggler...

Nice ride

Post 4

cactuscafe

21C to 25C. Nice temperature. That's approaching a heatwave for England. smiley - rofl

So, the driver has an interesting story then. From that to this, to the water.

Ah, a Roseate Spoonbill! A backyard regular. heheh. How about that.

Nice ride

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

The photo of the spoonbill is superb! I’m lucky to see white spoonbills occasionally at my local nature reserve A87875987 but my photos of them are comparatively feeble. I am in awe that they are your backyard birds smiley - wow Thank you for sharing this with us smiley - ok

Nice ride

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The pink bid caught my eye, I didn't realize there were two other pictures, plus commentary. Good article, Phred. I would love to have a pink bird like that walking across my yard.

Nice ride

Post 7

Phred Firecloud

Here is a Washington Post article, written in 1990 about the growth and collapse of drug smuggling in Everglades City...facts quirky enough for an H2G@ edited entry by an industrious researcher...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1990/12/23/the-little-town-that-turned-to-drugs/7f3f3675-cfee-44cc-bd1e-958e6dbcca16/

Nice ride

Post 8

Good idea, hint... smiley - winkeye

Nice ride

Post 9

What a pity that even crabs are getting into hard drugs. smiley - sadface

Nice ride

Post 10

Phred Firecloud

I'm not sure I understand, Paul...What crabs? The fishermen were only smuggling pot...not hard drugs...

Nice ride

Post 11

Phred Firecloud

Good idea about writing an Everglades city H2G2 article..."Everglades City: The most corrupt town in America" there is a wealth of news articles dealing with prohibition and pot smuggling...Wiki also has some interesting history of early murder and throat-cutting...

I'm thinking (like Michener) of starting with a confused Mastadon and working quickly through 1500 years of Calusa Indians inhabitation...

Nice ride

Post 12

smiley - snork Sounds good! Maybe like the one I did about Pittsburgh that started with Pangeia? A87860866

Nice ride

Post 13

Phred Firecloud

Great entry...The humor makes it...a few billion years more ambitious than I would have dared...the beginning of the Universe?...even Michener didn't think of that...

Nice ride

Post 14

smiley - snork I always wanted to do Michener one better. smiley - rofl Thanks, glad you liked it!

Nice ride

Post 15

"The burly, clannish crabbers of Everglades City," so I assumed that the crabs were somehow participating.

Nice ride

Post 16

Phred Firecloud

No crabs were arrested or even indicted...a few were questioned and many were eaten...have you ever had Florida Stone crab?... I bought ten pounds of fresh, shelled King Crab in Cold Bay, Alaska, in 1967 for five dollars...but I didn't like it...Mrs. Phred ate it all...If you go to Miami eat at Joe's Stone Crab...during season...

Key: Complain about this post