A Conversation for Winston Churchill - Film Adaptations of his Life

Winston Churchill

Post 1

kitrapsjasani

This is an interesting entry and of great interest for me and especially, many decades ago, I did a Radio Documentary on the History of the Second World War, which, naturally covered a bit of Churchill at the time of the outbreak of the war. I have also written an article on Mahatma Gandhi on here . During my research on Gandhi, I found out that Churchill had called him an "half naked Indian fakir." Many now think and feel that that was being racist and some also, now think that he may have been racist. But about this article, what I will say is that its excellent and a good read. Brilliant! smiley - oksmiley - cheers

Winston Churchill

Post 2

Bluebottle

Thank you for reading this and enjoying it.

I don't know whether people outside the UK are able to see this BBC news entry:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29701767

There's no doubt that Churchill had views that today would be unquestionably racist and unacceptable, believing in Social Darwinism, while in other ways he had views that were considered quite progressive for the time. As a human he had flaws and failings but in a nuanced way. The question remains to what extent the people of the past can be judged by the standards of the present.

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Winston Churchill - Film Adaptations of his Life

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more