A Conversation for The Last Escaped POW: How Georg Gaertner Spent 40 Years on the Run and Invented a Tennis Racquet

Peer Review: A87971854 - The Last Escaped POW: How Georg Gaertner Spent 40 Years on the Run and Invented a Tennis Racquet

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Entry: The Last Escaped POW: How Georg Gaertner Spent 40 Years on the Run and Invented a Tennis Racquet - A87971854
Author: Dmitri Gheorgheni - Not Banned in China - U1590784

Another war story, sort of. I read the book, enjoyed it, decided to follow up to see what happened next.

smiley - dragon

A87971854 - The Last Escaped POW: How Georg Gaertner Spent 40 Years on the Run and Invented a Tennis Racquet

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Excellent smiley - ok

Typically, now I'm looking for it I can't find your excellent discussion of the difference between the USA and America, which I found when I was looking for something else...

More precision is possibly needed in a couple of places:

"the last escaped German POW at large in America." - the USA?

"the American newspapers" - US newspapers?

Impressive linkage with other Entries in the Edited Guide smiley - ok

"According to his biographer Arthur Krammer" - does that mean, "according to the book Hitler's Last Soldier in America by Georg Gärtner and Arthur Krammer, 1985"?

Excellent concluding section - the flavour of the Entry is just right smiley - ok

A87971854 - The Last Escaped POW: How Georg Gaertner Spent 40 Years on the Run and Invented a Tennis Racquet

Post 3

Thanks for reading. smiley - ok I amended 'at large in America' and 'American newspapers' to 'US'. I'd just finished reading the book and forgot to change terms. People in the US always call themselves Americans to themselves. They've been doing it since colonial times and they're not about to stop.

The book title and quotes stay, of course, because everyone involved in this story said 'America' when they meant 'the United States of America'.

I also left Gaertner's decision 'to be an American' intact. That is exactly how he thought of it. He was where he was in space-time.

I took 'biographer' out. I was worried for a second that the reader wouldn't remember his name. Now I don't care. smiley - winkeye They can scroll up.

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

Perfect - yes, the other mentions make sense in context, so that is very clear now smiley - ok

Post 5

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Very interesting! smiley - smiley

My grandpa was a prisoner of the British army.Speaking English helped him a lot. He became something like a secretary for an officer as far as I understood. They wanted him to come home with them but he refused.

Post 6

smiley - cool!

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 7

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations! smiley - bubblysmiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Last Escaped POW: How Georg Gaertner Spent 40 Years on the Run and Invented a Tennis Racquet

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more