A Conversation for Video: Medium Leslie

Where else are the homeless supposed to sleep? :-(

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Subways are for sleeping
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subways_Are_for_Sleeping#/media/File:Subways_Are_For_Sleeping_(original_cast_recording_-_album_cover).jpg

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

While it is probably true that homeless people sleep in the subway, it is also true that the 'subway' referred to in this English song is not an underground train, but a pedestrian underpass. smiley - laugh

Back when I was growing up, homeless people in Pittsburgh could sleep at the Light of Life Mission, where I occasionally played piano. We also brought them canned goods and money.

Post 3

Aha. I stand corrected, at least according to W*k*p*d**. They claim the English songwriters used 'subway' in the US sense, and were inspired by the musical you mentioned. smiley - eureka And here, I always thought it was the other kind of subway...

Post 4

sometimes you see two different kinds of "Subway" next to each other, for instance the sandwich shop Subway next to the subway station on Massachusetts Avenue near Symphony Hall, Boston. smiley - smiley

I can't claim to be familiar with the songs from the musical smiley - blush, but I kept seeing original cast albums for it in Woolworth's when I was a kid. I spent lots of time going through LP racks in Woolworth's in those days. That's where I found really obscure albums like "Two on the Aisle," and Carol Channing's "Show Girl." Trust me, those are *totally* nonessential.

(Right now I'm listening to a song from S.A.F.S. on youtube. smiley - smiley

Post 5

If you remember records at Woolworth's, you need this song by Nanci Griffith: you know, the singer George W Bush didn't know was also from Texas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GK462XnRjQ

Post 6

Thanks for the link. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Video: Medium Leslie

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more