A Conversation for The Ultimate Studio Ghibli Film Guide: 1995 - 1999

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A87956086 - The Ultimate Studio Ghibli Film Guide: 1995 - 1999

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: The Ultimate Studio Ghibli Film Guide: 1995 - 1999 - A87956086
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

<BB<

A87956086 - The Ultimate Studio Ghibli Film Guide: 1995 - 1999

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

A87956086 The Ultimate Studio Ghibli Film Guide: 1995 - 1999

In 1996 Disney signed a 15-year agreement to release Ghibli's films on home media worldwide, though it took a surprising amount of time for Disney to release these Studio Ghibli films on the home video market in English.

-- you don't need to repeat "Studio Ghibli" in this sentence. You already have Ghibli earlier in the sentence and Studio Ghibli in the previous sentence, in an entry about Studio Ghibli. Change "these Studio Ghibli films" to "these films".

Whisper of the Heart

reading and composing the Japanese lyrics to John Denver song 'Country Roads
-- shouldn't that be "composing new Japanese lyrics to" ?

-- actually, I think the mention ofthe John Denver song is out of place here. It distracts from the summary. You could put it down with the other mention of the song and Olivia Newton-John

After learning that he wishes to become a master luthier3, she is inspired to write a story about the Baron.
-- this sounds odd. The two parts of the sentence do not appear to be connected. I'd rearrange a few sentences, putting the ideas about the boy first and then mentioning the statue of the cat. (Unless I've missed something here)

It turns out that the boy who has been annoying her is Seiji after all and they have more in common than she first realised. She learns that he wishes to become a master luthier3. The shop contains a fascinating cat statue called the Baron and Shizuku is inspired to write a story about it.

You've listed Shiho Tsukishima twice in the list of characters

A sequel, The Cat Returns (2002) would be Studio Ghibli's 13th film
-- add a comma after (2002)

in the story Shizukuthe Baron can fly
-- there's something wrong here

flying islands that they encounter
-- add a full stop at the end.

Princess Mononoke

raised by Moro the wolf goddess as one of their own cubs -->
raised by Moro the wolf goddess as one of her own cubs

The leader of Irontown is Lady Eboshi, who has the fanatical devotion of her subjects, who had previously been considered outcasts.
-- it's not good to have two "who" clauses like this. You can get around it by splitting it into two sentences:

The leader of Irontown is Lady Eboshi. She has the fanatical devotion of her subjects, who had previously been considered outcasts.

foundary --> foundry

When San awakes she considers killing Ashitaka but when the Forest Spirit saves his life she allows herself to believe in him, though Okkoto the blind boar god plans to attack Irontown in the hope of killing the humans and saving the forest.
-- too long, and repetition due to two "when" clauses. Split it:

When San awakes she considers killing Ashitaka. Then the Forest Spirit saves his life and she allows herself to believe in him. But Okkoto the blind boar god plans to attack Irontown in the hope of killing the humans and saving the forest.

and raised a wolf --> and raised as a wolf

It was briefly the most successful film in Japan until James Cameron's Titanic (1997), only for Cameron to later admit that Princess Mononoke was a key influence on his Avatar (2009).
-- "only for" is the wrong phrase for connecting these. It suggests that something about Cameron's admission changed the rankings of the two films. I'd split it into two:

It was briefly the most successful film in Japan until James Cameron's Titanic (1997). Cameron later admitted that Princess Mononoke was a key influence on his Avatar (2009).

proudly work the bellows that feeds the fire that smelts the iron
-- this is clumsy with two "that" clauses in a row. It reminds us of "the house that Jack built". Say:

proudly work the bellows feeding the fire that smelts the iron

Princess Mononoke was the film that introduced Studio Ghibli to the rest of the world
-- you've already said this three paragraphs earlier

In 1996 the Walt Disney Company through its subsidiary Miramax to release Ghibli's films
-- you appear to have left out the word "decided", and it would be better rearranged:

In 1996 the Walt Disney Company decided to release Ghibli's films through its subsidiary Miramax

Princess Mononoke was the first film to be made following this deal, however Harvey Weinstein, Miramax's chairman, felt
-- misuse of "however". "However" should not be used to join two sentences together. It is used in second place in a sentence to show that it conflicts with the previous sentence:

Princess Mononoke was the first film to be made following this deal. Miramax's chairman Harvey Weinstein, however, felt

Author Neil Gaiman also worked closely on the English translation -- not sure why you have "also" in this. You haven't mentioned anyone else who worked on the translation.

After being tempted into the was undecided -- something missing here

My Neighbours the Yamadas

Hayato Isobata -- can you check the spelling of this name, please. IMDB has Isohata with an "h".

While owned by the Tokuma Shoten publishing company it continued to inspire audiences in Japan and was on the verge of discovery by the rest of the world following the incredible success of its very next film, Spirited Away.

-- Since this is the conclusion of the entry, it might worth putting "Studio Ghibli" in instead of "it".

smiley - smiley G

Post 3

Bluebottle

Thanks Gnomon - I've made the changes suggested and am happy to report they were all straight forward, nothing needing further comment from me.

<BB<

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

Interesting about Sub or Dub indeed - when I was watching Howl's Moving Castle I noticed one or two places where the dialogue matched the mouth movements more than the plot and suspected something had been lost in translation...

"he is fatally injured when he rescues San" - this suggests his injuries have killed him, but he's not dead? - is 'mortally injured' better?

Excellent - and I like how it leads neatly into the next Entry in the series smiley - ok

Post 5

Bluebottle

Tweaked now.

<BB<

Post 6

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Guide Entry is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation to the entry itself.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Ultimate Studio Ghibli Film Guide: 1995 - 1999

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more