A Conversation for Walnuts Waiting to Hit the Post Editor on the Head

The waiting walnut

Post 21

SashaQ - happysad

That is art indeed smiley - biggrin Reminds me of an art installation I once saw, where someone filmed a journey in a lorry, switching between views in the wing mirrors and the rear view mirrors - very meditative smiley - zen

The Breezes video is very meditative too - thank you smiley - zen

The black walnut tree is rather large - no wonder you get plenty of walnuts each year for the squirrels to play with! I can imagine you have to watch out when the walnuts are falling - reminds me of the Spanish Chestnut tree that hangs over my yard. I was almost certain that I put a picture in h2g2 of my pet Spanish chestnut hamster (each seed case contains three curved seeds, unlike the sweet chestnut and horse chestnut) but I can't find it, so here is a link http://www.flickr.com/photos/sashaq99/48694583802

"These words are read by those who need them. "

Yes indeed - a writer can write and put the writing in a drawer so nobody can see, but if the writer writes and puts it here, where other people can see, then the writing will be read smiley - ok h2g2 is a real treasure trove - I often find myself wandering through the archive and finding fascinating facts and insights smiley - biggrin And it is a privilege to be able to contribute to the archive, through the Edited Guide, The Post and in commenting on other people's writing smiley - biggrin

"I am ant, smiley - ant , art's typo cousin." smiley - roflsmiley - oksmiley - ant

The waiting walnut

Post 22

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I like that seed hamster. smiley - smiley

There are two trees, and they're much taller than the houses. I just read that the trees don't usually grow that straight and tall if they're in the open. These grew with hemlocks all around, which accounts for the height and the straightness. The neighbours had to cut down the hemlocks recently because they damaged the old clay sewer pipes (which have now been replaced), leaving the walnuts in full and open view.

I suppose I could try to get the Hoggett Mathematical Institute to estimate their height...smiley - winkeye

Mitch and Mickey

Post 23

cactuscafe

I love A Mighty Wind. I have it on DVD, I watch it so often, and every time I laugh and laugh. OK, nerdy Mighty Wind test ...

Who said: 'Thank God for the model trains, you know? If they didn't have the model trains they wouldn't have gotten the idea for the big trains.'

smiley - roflsmiley - rofl

Ma Bell

Post 24

cactuscafe

Ah yes! Of course!

Full circle ...

Ma Bell ...

The experts are onto it.

smiley - kiss

Spanish Chestnut Hamster

Post 25

cactuscafe

So, is the Spanish Chestnut Hamster a seed case? Kind of furry? It looks like a little hamster. I'd like them in my yard. I'd talk to them.

I was thinking about the h2g2 archives the other day, in fact.

Extraordinary achievement!

And all storied digitally, so you don't need a massive warehouse, like, a really massive warehouse, where moth and mouse do eat the files, and all that knowledge and creativity waiting to be beamed into outer space and inner space and indefinable space.

Spanish Chestnut Hamster

Post 26

SashaQ - happysad

The seed case is like a horse chestnut - spiky sphere - but then inside the three little seeds are nestled together smiley - biggrin

Yes, it is amazing that h2g2 is a massive digital warehouse that occupies a relatively small amount of physical space smiley - magic

Spanish Chestnut Hamster

Post 27

Okay, FWR and company. Two can play at this game, by johnny jingo.

Here's my tale for this weekend: A87947996

It has Starchild Marlowe in. If you don't remember him, he was the narrator of the noir tale 'Farewell, My Lovely Umbrella', which is available in print. smiley - winkeye

Spanish Chestnut Hamster

Post 28

FWR

Already left you a comment for this masterpiece DG!

(Don't change the spelling, bad things will happen!)smiley - magic

Johnny Jingo

Post 29

cactuscafe

Oh by johnny jingo, will go read.

Lumpenpeter the Terrible

Post 30

cactuscafe

Well, what to say about this read! by johnny jingo, its a masterpiece indeed.

What happens, just before you write something like this? Do you feel it somehow coming over you, and then rein it in onto the paper, or more likely screen, do you make notes? Do you jot down phrases, or whisper them to passing kitties. Or Elektra. smiley - rofl

'But a three-foot cross between a garden gnome and that actor in Leprechaun stood before us.

'Are you, or are you not, the Demon of Fake News? '

Yes!! Yes!! You will whisper.

smiley - coffee

Well, whatever you do, you are the one to do it. smiley - rofl Amazing.

I love it when you and FWR get writing simultaneously, you can expect creative sparks to go flying about like fireflies in a tizz. Or a whizz. Or a fizz.

Lumpenpeter the Terrible

Post 31

smiley - rofl I think about these things in the shower. No lie.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Walnuts Waiting to Hit the Post Editor on the Head

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more