A Conversation for Stuck for a No-touch Greeting? Try Spock's Vulcan Salute: Live Long, and Prosper

Peer Review: A87941541 - Stuck for a No-touch Greeting? Try Spock's Vulcan Salute: Live Long, and Prosper

Post 1

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Entry: Stuck for a No-touch Greeting? Try Spock's Vulcan Salute: Live Long, and Prosper - A87941541
Author: Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor - U128652

I channelled my inner Mr Spock for this one.

LLAP.

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - aliensmile

A87941541 - Stuck for a No-touch Greeting? Try Spock's Vulcan Salute: Live Long, and Prosper

Post 2

h2g2 Guide Editors

Thank you so much - we need this Entry smiley - applause

A87941541 - Stuck for a No-touch Greeting? Try Spock's Vulcan Salute: Live Long, and Prosper

Post 3

Thank you smiley - smiley

It was very difficult to keep the emotion out of this one, I am currently reeling from the news of a Facebook friend who has died from covid-19 just a month after her mother also died from it.

My daughter came for a social-distanced chat today and she performed the Vulcan salute for me so I could photograph it. I'll send it along to the artists if/when this is picked smiley - ok

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - hug Yes, difficult times indeed... smiley - rose

This is very topical, so hopefully it won't take too long to get through Peer Review - it will look lovely with your daughter's Vulcan Salute on it! smiley - ok

Post 5

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - applause Good idea, this! (My brother-in-law has been telling everybody to 'live long and prosper' for months now, it's taken over the church congregation.)

Could you mention the origin of the Vulcan salute in the Jewish blessing? Leonard Nimoy explains it in an oral history with the Yiddish Book Center here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyiWkWcR86I

(You don't have to link to the Yiddish Book Center entry at A87945187 ...smiley - winkeye)

As Nimoy says in the interview, 'People don't know that they're blessing each other.' I found out by glorious accident.

Many years ago, my wonderful Yiddish professor in Cologne, Germany showed me this blessing and explained its significance. I realised at that moment that this was the same as the Vulcan salute, but I kept very, very quiet about it, as I was sure he had never seen 'Star Trek'. smiley - laugh

Post 6

smiley - biggrinthanks!

We knew about the Jewish connection, so I'm happy to add it smiley - ok

Post 7

smiley - ok

Post 8

Anything else here? The death of the handshake featured on BBC News this morning - but there was no mention of "Live Long, and Prosper". The smiley - earth needs to know! smiley - ok

Post 9

SashaQ - happysad

Just reading through again, I had a couple of thoughts:

I wonder if Footnote 1 is needed - has it been superseded by more recent studies?

"We may have to live with coronavirus indefinitely, and humanity will have to adapt to stay safe. People had spread the virus before they became symptomatic. " - the verb tenses don't match - perhaps something like: "We may have to live with coronavirus indefinitely, and humanity will have to adapt to stay safe - people can spread the virus before they develop symptoms. "

Apart from those minor points, I think it is ready - this is a lovely Entry - thank you smiley - oksmiley - rose

Post 10

All done, thank you Sasha!smiley - ok

Post 11

SashaQ - happysad

Thank you smiley - ok

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 13

smiley - seniorsmiley - love

Post 14

smiley - applause

Post 15

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - applausesmiley - bubbly

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Stuck for a No-touch Greeting? Try Spock's Vulcan Salute: Live Long, and Prosper

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more