A Conversation for A Nice Scene from the Countryside

Comments: A Nice Scene from the Countryside

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Now, this is a new challenge, our first abstract. A blending of photography and art.
It is a definite horizon with the sky acting as a mirror of the landscape below.
The title 'Scene from the Countryside' is apt all the elements are there the horizon is the most striking part. An interesting and strangely restful image. It is also much more complex a creation than a straight forward photograph acceptable, this took more work and imagination.
And it makes you think.

bobstafford

Vanishing point disappearing into a strange horizon gives this image a real sense of movement. Geometric lines play tricks on the eyes and the use of a horizontal *mirrored* sky further adds to the sense of *travelling through* rather than *looking at*.

Torn between thinking of sci-fi wormholes and 1970s light shades!

Sometimes we have the chance to produce images like this due to natural reflections or juxtapositions of everyday objects, other times we can manipulate images to give the desired effect.

Experimenting with photo effects is a fantastic way to convey abstract thoughts, and, with the multitude of free software available nowadays everyone can have a dabble!

One to make you think, well done CC!

FWR

Post 2

cactuscafe

Ooh that's strange. My phone has interpreted the layout all different to laptop. Got me reply box above, my text below. Is this interesting to you? No. No?? smiley - rofl

Anyway! It's the geniuses! How splendid are your insights into my patterned pattern of patternverse. That's a universe of pattern. Patternverse. I guess it could be a verse about pattern.

I always did live in a patternverse, from the day I fell out of the nest.

Of course, pattern is in fact, to me, a music score. I think this one is a whooshy kind of sound.

Dear ones, thank you for your attentions. You are delightful.

Post 3

cactuscafe

I'm assuming of course that the correct pattern has been printed here.

Nice Scene From The Countryside is my buttercup mandala pattern, with clouds and tweetly birdies.

On re reading your comments I see mention of a 70s lampshade. This worries me. Do I remember a lampshade from the 70s with buttercups on it?? I remember b\w triangular patterns, the last thing I saw before I whooshed towards.. towards.. towards..

'You're too young to remember and consequently forget the 70s!' says someone paid to say that, who I haven't paid yet.

Hohoho. smiley - rofl

Post 4

bobstafford

What's next we wonder!

Post 5

minorvogonpoet

This is amazing, cc! smiley - applause I have no idea how you did it.

bobstafford is right, the eye is drawn to the horizon, giving a sense of movement. However, I find it disquieting, suggesting that we get crushed if we ever get there.smiley - erm

Post 6

cactuscafe

Hullo mvp! Yes! Ohmigod it is disquieting. I think its the Void. Oh no! An existentialist pattern. I need to tamper with it. What would I place in that dark horizony bit. Erm well a cafe. Lights. Perhaps people. Definitely a giant mantis or two. smiley - rofl no! Not a giant mantis.

Messing with pattern design on phone. It was supposed to be somethng else in fact but I erm clicked the wrong button as usual. Hoho. Oh no! Voidoid!

Forgive potential typos. Typing on phone.

Post 7

minorvogonpoet

Sorry, I didn't mean I didn't like the photo. I think it's amazing.

But it might be interesting to see a version where there's light on the horizon, instead of dark.

Post 8

cactuscafe

Your insights are splendid! I'm enjoying the journey. Now, how to get a light effect into that horizony bit.

Good question. Could have a green neon sign saying Welcome To The Void. Haha. Thats quite stupid. Or is it????

Post 9

bobstafford

A Setting sun, moon rise that sort of thing?

It could take away some of the mystery in the image smiley - smiley

Post 10

FWR

Don't you dare! The mystery would be ruined lol

Post 11

I would personally be against adding anything. Unless it were anamorphic....

Post 12

cactuscafe

Mmm yes it could do.

I'm going to try a few versions see where it takes me. If I don't return you know the horizony bit was more real than it looked. Hoho.

That would make a good story eh? Someone goes for a walk into a photograph and disappears.Could be dark. But could be light. They might find a better life, a beach, a picnic.

The thing about digital pattern making, for me, is, because I love using my phone as a Playskool, I can change all my patterns and turn a butterfly type shape into a waterlily type shape and all before breakfast.

Post 13

cactuscafe

Heheh. What's anamorphic?

Post 14

cactuscafe

It would be good to put a sort of luminous DNA code into the horizony bit.

A what?

Like, if you enlarge the pic you see that the dark isnt dark its full of a repeating code.

Thats a bit odd. Cool though. Now I have to find out what the code is.

Post 15

This is the ancient kind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3yMELQkDjE

Here's the street art variety:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8tngtNgXl4

Post 16

cactuscafe

Ohmigod those anamorphic images are incredible.Thanks!

I almost saw my code there, inspired by this beauty.

In the void part of the pic there is an endless and extraordinary code. It all makes sense and there's nothing to fear. Its all lit up. Or maybe its not a code. Maybe is OM. Or AUM. Or Alpha or Omega. Or not words at all. Its mystical for sure. Unless its my shopping list. Ah thats where I put it. Haha

Post 17

smiley - rofl Thought so.

Post 18

bobstafford

Be careful not to spoil the orinigal effect

Post 19

cactuscafe

heheh good tip Bob, I'll keep the original also. smiley - rofl

I don't think in fact I'll be able to put my mystical vision into practice, I think its beyond the boundaries of my phone and my brain.

It would be good though, an animated version of this pattern, so you travel into the dark horizony bit, and there's a beautiful stream of knowledge and realisation, laid out in some kind of language, probably be a soundtrack in fact, audio.

smiley - coffee

Good discussion folks! I like this kind of debate where we all exchange ideas, make new pictures, and I end up looking at my pattern in a different way, and getting mystical visions that I can't express digitally, but hey. smiley - rofl

smiley - coffee

As you know, I do go on (and on and on) smiley - rofl about how sensitive I am about putting artwork out into the world, because I'll probably get mashed up. smiley - wah. This isn't related to this kind of debate, on a wonderful site like this.

Probably comes from another incarnation, when I was in fact a plate of mashed potato.

smiley - musicalnote For mash get Smash. Remember that ad? smiley - rofl One of my faves.

Then they boil them up in pots and pans...

Post 20

FWR

You have mail! Lol

Key: Complain about this post