A Conversation for Picture Quiz: What?

sod nicotine patches

Post 1

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

I'm DEFINITELY going to quit smoking, if I've got to do this every time I want a roll-up!

sod nicotine patches

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - snork

sod nicotine patches

Post 3

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

ARGH! Quit smoking guys! It gives you man-boobs smiley - sadface and I've found out that metal bra's aren't in fashion

sod nicotine patches

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

It looks like a crossbow. What I don't get is having to crank it.smiley - huh

sod nicotine patches

Post 5

'But screw your courage to the sticking place...' Lady Macbeth

sod nicotine patches

Post 6

Baron Grim

Paulh, some crossbows can have a "draw" of well over 150 lbs. I suspect the crank is using mechanical advantage to draw the string back into firing position. Some crossbows like this used levers. This one uses a wench.

I recently purchased my first crossbow. I've previously had a recurve and compound bows, but this is my first crossbow. I've never really thought much of crossbows before, but this one shoots toothpicks! If you want to quit smoking, have someone follow you around with one of these for negative reinforcement! Pull out a cigarette? FLING! POIK!

sod nicotine patches

Post 7

Baron Grim

Oh, and here's a similar crossbow (full size with crank).

http://i.stack.imgur.com/omug7.jpg

sod nicotine patches

Post 8

Well-spotted! smiley - biggrin The Hoggetts have modern dart-firing crossbows. I have managed to destroy a fingernail with one - I was lucky it wasn't worse. You really have to watch hand placement. smiley - laugh

sod nicotine patches

Post 9

" Some crossbows like this used levers. This one uses a wench." [Baron Grim]

So, even women used crossbows in the Middle Ages? smiley - bigeyes

sod nicotine patches

Post 10

Baron Grim

smiley - doh!

sod nicotine patches

Post 11

(They probably needed to know how to use crossbows when there were no knights available to rescue hem from abductors smiley - cross)

sod nicotine patches

Post 12

There is a very nice medieval German epic poem with a lady who has to defend her castle while her husband and the other knights are away. Just saying.

http://www.willehalm-und-arabel.de/pages/topics/arabel-giburg-eine-moderne-ritterin.php

sod nicotine patches

Post 13

Not that I could distinguish modern German from Medieval German (or whatever it was called then), but which period of German is the link written in?

sod nicotine patches

Post 14

smiley - rofl The text on the page is written in modern German. The poem 'Willehalm' is in Middle High German.

I just thought you might like the picture. smiley - laugh

sod nicotine patches

Post 15

smiley - winkeyeI suppose smiley - ermcrossbows were fired in anger smiley - whistle rather than for defence/attacksmiley - laugh

ok! It's a smiley - groansmiley - smiley

sod nicotine patches

Post 16

I do like the picture. smiley - ok

sod nicotine patches

Post 17

DAD! My pogo stick's broken smiley - wah

sod nicotine patches

Post 18

If this was what medieval egg-beaters were like, it's no wonder they didn't eat many omelets.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Picture Quiz: What?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more