A Conversation for 'Alone in Berlin': Everyday Resistance in Hitler's Reich

Peer Review: A87931740 - 'Alone in Berlin': Everyday Resistance in Hitler's Reich

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Entry: 'Alone in Berlin': Everyday Resistance in Hitler's Reich - A87931740
Author: Dmitri Gheorgheni - U1590784

Watched 'Alone in Berlin' last night, but was confused as to why somebody was filming Hans Fallada's novel. Why now? I thought. I read that book 40 or more years ago... And then I found out that the English translation was so recent...the light dawned. Nobody knew about this!

So I thought we could use an entry on it. You've seen the film: now find out the story behind the story.

I recommend the translation: it's a good job, the book itself is amazing, and the appendix contains images of the postcards and facsimiles of other items from the Gestapo files.

smiley - dragon

A87931740 - 'Alone in Berlin': Everyday Resistance in Hitler's Reich

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Thank you for sharing this story smiley - applause

My only question was what year the film was produced.

Post 3

Thanks, Sasha. smiley - smiley I added the date, 2016.

Post 4

minorvogonpoet

This is interesting. smiley - smiley

However, the message seems to be a bit depressing: you can be brave enough to resist, but it doesn't achieve anything.smiley - smiley

I suspect the answer is that, to achieve anything the resister needs to be part of a network, and networks weren't possible in Nazi Germany.

Post 5

smiley - ok That's an interesting point, MVP! When Becher showed Fallada the files, the author commented on the fact that this was about the most futile gesture he'd ever seen. But then he realised he wanted to tell the couple's story, anyway.

I think he wrote in sort of a fever heat - he produced about 800 typed pages in less than a month. It's probably hard to understand what that felt like - all of that pain and horror pouring out of you after years of living in a hypervigilant state where a chance remark could get you killed. The way he describes the everyday horror of it all is a revelation. I wish everyone would read it.

When it comes to the book, I think the answer is that not every story about that time is about success - successful resistance, successful survival, military successes. It's also instructive to learn what happens when humans get themselves into a cul-de-sac.

Post 6

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Read it. Like it. I agree that the message is not very happy (but then, why should everything be happy all the time?).

Given enough time I may go and read the book.

Post 7

Thanks. smiley - ok

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 8

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 9

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations smiley - applause

Post 10

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I was going to say that. Congratulations!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 'Alone in Berlin': Everyday Resistance in Hitler's Reich

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more