A Conversation for Picture Quiz: Name the Painting

Oh, we like sheep! (Paging Handel)

Post 21

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

This may surprise you, Dmitri, but Betsy Burleigh conducted my choral society once, many years ago. I liked her a lot. smiley - ok I'm glad she's doing good things in Pittsburgh. smiley - smiley

Post 22

SashaQ - happysad

Ah smiley - eureka - I didn't realise it was 'All...', not 'Oh...' That makes it much clearer that it isn't a sentence in its own right and there is more to follow smiley - laugh

Yes, it is a good song with meandering notes - very pleasing to listen to smiley - biggrin

Unfortunately I just get a blank page from that Post Gazette link - everything including Facebook and Google Analytics loads on the page except the actual text... 'Word Painting' is a good description, though - I can visualise that in relation to the sheep smiley - sheepsmiley - ok

Post 23

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - cool, Paul. smiley - smiley

Sorry about the link, Sasha - trying to find you an alternative one, I realise that Baroque word painting must be a school topic, too - we probably should have a Guide Entry sometime. smiley - laugh

Post 24

There is a reference to word painting in the EG under 'Dido and Aeneas' - A425909 Good entry, there. smiley - winkeye And spot-on about Nahum Tate not being the high point of English literature. He's the one who rewrote 'King Lear' with a happy ending, I believe...

Post 25

[I must remember the subject line]

Haydn also did some word painting in "The Creation" and "The Seasons." Was he happy about having to do it? No! He blamed the French for coming up with such stuff. But here's the connection with Handel: The fellow who wrote the libretto for Handel's Messiah also wrote a libretto for an oratorio based on Milton's"Paradise lost." Handel declined to set it to music. Fifty or sixty years later, Baron Von Swieten found a copy of it and thought it would make a fine oratorio for the Viennese audience. So he roped Haydn into setting it as "The Creation" [" Die Schöpfung"]

So there we have progression from Handel's word-painting to Haydn's similar effects, linked by the same librettist.

smiley - smiley

Post 26

smiley - cool We once heard 'Die Schöpfung' in a Munich cathedral. Very nice. smiley - smiley

Post 27

I've often gone out of my way to hear it. smiley - smiley

I also enjoy Messiah sings, which are performances that use the audience as a chorus. Soloists and instrumentalists are hired, but the audience caries much of the show. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more