A Conversation for Blockbuster Live-Action Science Fiction: A Yankee Circus on Mars

Peer Review: A87927574 - Blockbuster Live-Action Science Fiction: A Yankee Circus on Mars

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Entry: Blockbuster Live-Action Science Fiction: A Yankee Circus on Mars - A87927574
Author: Dmitri Gheorgheni - U1590784

This entry comes with images already installed, because without them, the text won't make much sense.

I thought it might be fun to try to imagine what it was like to be an audience member in the days of blockbuster live-action science fiction. In 1905.

It's not any sillier than most of the movies at the multiplex. And the snacks were probably better.

smiley - dragon

A87927574 - Blockbuster Live-Action Science Fiction: A Yankee Circus on Mars

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

This is fascinating, and great to see in Peer Review - I enjoy seeing documents from the archives, and you have gathered them together well. I think you've done a good job of explaining the images, too, so that the Entry makes sense even if people can't see them smiley - ok

I like how the programme included details of the show's sponsors smiley - ok

Footnote 2 is spot on smiley - laugh Dance of the Hours is in Disney's Fantasia so those lyrics have oft been sung in our house!

'pachydermic education' - now there's a phrase! smiley - laugh

Excellent concluding paragraph smiley - applause

Post 3

Thanks, Sasha. smiley - eureka It's been so long since I saw 'Fantasia', I'd forgotten that, and it's a link, too! smiley - run

Post 4

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

This is a great Entry, you can really imagine it all while reading. smiley - smiley

Post 5

Thanks, Tav! smiley - smiley

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

Excellent footnote - my parents and I watched Fantasia the other day and then had a youtube fest to hear all the 'Camp Granada' lyrics! smiley - laugh

Post 7

smiley - laugh Imagining this.

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

Just reading this again thoroughly, I spotted a couple of minor points:

Footnote 3 "Hicks=ignorant, unsophisticated, 'backward' rural people. See below for synonyms. The opposite of froods, who know where their towels are." - I'm not sure 'below' makes sense when the footnote pops up... You could put a link to A1051598 on frood smiley - ok

I think Footnote 6 needs moving to sit on 'Rockabye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody'

smiley - ok

Post 9

I moved the footnote and added the link, but I stick by 'below'. In the first place, it's an ancient tradition and not necessarily spatially literal. In the second place, some people don't have popups, and look at the bottom of the page. And even IF the footnote pops up, the ones with the further information are still spatially below the other popups in the text.

I think this is a fun pedantic argument to have. smiley - winkeye Is this what the Prof means by 'handbags at 10 paces'?

Post 10

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

"not necessarily spatially literal."

Ah, that is a perspective I didn't think of! I agree that 'below' works spatially on two counts, but it was a toss-up about whether the pop up was OK, and the other thing that crosses my mind when I see 'below' is that screenreaders have no particular spatial concept so it may not be clear... However, as an 'ancient tradition', 'below' may be equivalent to 'later', like 'going for a walk' is equivalent to 'going for a wheelchair push', etc, etc...

smiley - ok

Post 11

smiley - laugh Indeed. smiley - ok

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 13

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations! smiley - bubblysmiley - biggrin

Post 14

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Congratulations! smiley - bubbly

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Blockbuster Live-Action Science Fiction: A Yankee Circus on Mars

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more