A Conversation for 'The Storyteller' - the Television Series

Peer Review: A87926016 - 'The Storyteller' - the Television Series

Post 1

Bluebottle

Entry: 'The Storyteller' - the Television Series - A87926016
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

A television series in which Sir John Hurt speaks lines written by Sir Anthony Minghella to the creations of Jim Henson. Can television get any better?

<BB<

A87926016 - 'The Storyteller' - the Television Series

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Two end-of-year entries at the same time. (I hit 'submit' the same time you did. smiley - laugh)

This is good! smiley - smiley It won't make me want to watch the series, but then, nothing would.

I have a few comments:

smiley - biro In the section 'Creature Shop', you used the word 'talents' three times. Could you possibly change one or two of them to use a different word? Like 'abilities', 'range', whatever?

smiley - biro >>In 'Hans, My Hedgehog' a woman wishes for a baby to sing to, snoodle5 with....<<

Does this story come from the Isle of Wight? Is the episode in Isle of Wight dialect? If so, could you make that clearer?

smiley - biro The 'Filming' section was more than this reader wanted to know.

smiley - biro I really enjoyed the 'Broadcast' section. You explained the difference in reception really well. smiley - smiley I learned something.

I would take out the lists of episodes. Anybody who really wanted to know that could look elsewhere, and it interrupts your flow and detracts from the excellent points you're making.

smiley - biro The final section is really strong. Now I know why this was an important development, even if I don't watch the series. smiley - smiley

Post 3

Bluebottle

Thanks for your read-through, I've made changes to reflect what you've said. smiley - biggrin

<BB<

Post 4

smiley - ok Oh, yeah, that's much tighter now - the good Stuff stands out! smiley - smiley

Post 5

Bluebottle

Thanks smiley - biggrin
'It won't make me want to watch the series'
One of the joys of this series is that because it was written as a series of narrated tales, you don't actually have to watch it to enjoy it - you can still find it rewarding just by listening to it.

<BB<

Post 6

That's a good thought. smiley - smiley

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

This is interesting - I can visualise the man and his dog, so I've seen something about the series, but I'm not sure I've seen any actual episodes so I have learned something smiley - ok

I particularly enjoy the Creature Shop section smiley - biggrin

I have to admit I struggled with the 'Crafting' section so I wasn't able to finish reading the Entry the other day. I wonder if there is a way of getting the quotes to work harder here like they do elsewhere in the Entry, eg you don't need to use the word 'described' but can just put who said the quote underneath it... The Filming section is very good smiley - ok

A few minor points as I read through:

smiley - orib Is the princess the first thing to greet Hans?

smiley - orib I think the Storyteller's Dog section would be better to have the paragraph break at 'When the series was revived...' because the joystick relates to the Performance Control System smiley - ok

smiley - oribThe first series was about gothic fairytales while the second series was about Greek Myths?

smiley - oribI didn't quite follow the Jim Henson Hour paragraph after 'sugar-coated' - I wonder if the sentences 'Other unrelated ... 15 minutes of Muppets' are needed.

Excellent conclusion indeed smiley - applausesmiley - biggrin

Post 8

Bluebottle

I've made some changes so hopefully it works better. Random fact of the day – 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' (1990) was made for less money smiley - 2cents than smiley - diva 'Pretty Woman'.

<BB<

Post 9

Turtles probably work cheap. smiley - frog

Post 10

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - laughsmiley - ok Yes, this is looking good.

A couple more minor points as I read through again:

"Minghella then spent two years writing the scripts based on obscure fairy tales around Europe while heavily researching fairy tales, such as those by the Brothers Grimm, and the work of fairy tale scholars, particularly Stith Thompson."

This sentence seems to say he knew about obscure fairy tales, but he was researching well-known fairy tales?

The quote by Anthony Minghella is really good smiley - ok

" the video for Labyrinth's David Bowie song 'Underground'" sounds like it is saying the song 'Underground' from Labyrinth was released as a single with a new music video?

I still enjoy the superb concluding section smiley - ok

Post 11

Bluebottle

I've reworded the bit about the brothers Grimm and smiley - fairysmiley - book.

" the video for Labyrinth's David Bowie song 'Underground'" sounds like it is saying the song 'Underground' from Labyrinth was released as a single with a new music video?
The song 'Underground' from 'Labyrinth' was released as a single, with a new music video. It only got to 21 but many consider the video to be one of Bowie's best, though because Bowie had little input it wasn't one of his favourites. You could see: http://ew.com/article/2016/01/11/david-bowie-best-music-videos/

I cannot emphasise enough how much I enjoy listening to that soundtrack…smiley - eureka

<BB<

Post 12

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

Aha! A classic soundtrack indeed smiley - ok

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 13

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 14

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations! smiley - booksmiley - dogsmiley - bubblysmiley - biggrin

Post 15

smiley - applause

Post 16

bobstafford

smiley - bubblysmiley - ok

WELL DONE smiley - magic

Post 17

Bluebottle

smiley - tasmiley - fairysmiley - booksmiley - magic

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post