A Conversation for A House Full of Boring Insects, or How not to Have Your House Eaten (Again)

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A87922623 - Ooh, You Little Buggers! or How not to Have Your House Eaten (Again)

Post 1

almoner99

Entry: Ooh, You Little Buggers! or How not to Have Your House Eaten (Again) - A87922623
Author: almoner99 - U15002866

Comments (clean ones!) appreciated.

A87922623 - Ooh, You Little Buggers! or How not to Have Your House Eaten (Again)

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - laugh Great to see you again, and this is another great Entry!

Superb humour - I certainly know those kind of piles... A few years ago when I lived in an old-ish house the corner behind my desk didn't get hoovered for some weeks smiley - whistle and when I removed the stack of paper that had been under the desk there was a pile of frass in front of the skirting board. I thought it was caused by ants, but I didn't actually see any ants so I wonder if it was one of these creatures... The damaged piece of skirting was replaced and I made sure to keep the floor clear so the vacuum could get right into the corner and I didn't see any more piles appear after that!

"mico-emulsions" - should that be "micro-emulsions"?

A87922623 - Ooh, You Little Buggers! or How not to Have Your House Eaten (Again)

Post 3

Bluebottle

Another enjoyable entry – did you know that this is in the Edited Guide Writing Workshop as I feel it is ready for Peer Review. It won't get into the Edited Guide unless it is moved in Peer Review.

The one thing I would question is the title. It makes perfect sense if you've read A87909268 Dry Rot, or How Not to have your House Eaten, but if you haven't, to what extent does it explain what the entry is about? I didn't know if it would be more descriptive if the word 'insect' or 'beetle' was in the title?

I'm also not sure whether the use of the word 'smiley - bleep' in the title would be frowned upon. (If you don't know what I mean, I have prepared a diagram, thus:

smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - cross
smiley - spacesmiley - burger

Okay, so it is a burger but it is the closest I could find…)

Maybe best to ask for a second opinion…

<BB<

Post 4

almoner99

Err...yes it should, thanks. Blame the huge sausage-like fingers!

Post 5

almoner99

Thanks for the comments, chaps. Are we really concerned about the title? They are bugs, after all; bugging is what they do, ergo they are...?

Just wanted a title to get people reading, that was all. Could change it to "Why does it matter if your bug has the hump?" Any better?

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

I see I delicately avoided mentioning the title in my first review - the language is rather too strong, so I agree with <BB<

'Bugging' is a good word, though - maybe your title could include something about 'What's bugging your house?', or something...

You could maybe include 'How not to Have Your House Eaten (Again)' but you would need to say something in your introduction to this Entry about how if the Dry Rot A87909268 doesn't get it, these things might!

Post 7

almoner99

Ok, have edited the title and first para. Hopefully better.

Post 8

Bluebottle

I think this is ready for you to move out of the Edited Guide Writing Workshop and into Peer Review. In Peer Review it can get into the Edited Guide - whereas it won't go anywhere or do anything other than sit here and possibly attract an occasional comment here.

If you go to the <./>writing-workshop</.> page and click on 'remove' next to your entry, you will then be able to enter it into Peer Review.

<BB<

Post 9

Bluebottle

Are you still around on h2g2 Almoner?

<BB<

Post 10

Bluebottle

Last posted in December – alas I suspect smiley - elvis
I'd like to propose Flea Market.

<BB<

Post 11

SashaQ - happysad

Alas indeed smiley - elvis

Seconded...

Post 12

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Entry is on the Front Page today smiley - magicsmiley - ant

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more