A Conversation for Summer Garden Report: Austria

Cute toadlet and lovely lillies.

Post 1

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

For some reason this seemed to be a great year for lillies. The ones at the Hoggett's farm were gorgeous and we had a few pretty ones as well that weren't eaten by the deer.

Try to get a picture of your badger---but I think you'd better keep the dog inside. I wouldn't want your pretty dog to tangle with one--they are mean spirited and might do serious injury to your dog.

Post 2

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeyetoo much hard work, to catch enough to make a toad sarnie smiley - whistlesmiley - smiley

Not seen a young frog/toad for many a yearsmiley - sadfacewe! townies don'tsmiley - sadface

Post 3

FWR

Teeny tiny toad, thought it was my newt for a mo! smiley - run

Post 4

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Oops! I shrunk the kids smiley - erm

Post 5

I DARE you to kiss me!

Post 6

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

The toads are still on their way up the hill, although I see less of them now. They are walking since June now, I think. I already rescued quite a few from the street, too (the only street between our garden and the river).
What willt hey be if kissed? A very tiny prince? smiley - laugh I'd have to build a doll house for him.

I also have some huge white lilies now.

But I'm still a bit sad that not one of my peonias wanted to bloom this spring.smiley - erm

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

They are lovely blooms smiley - biggrin

The toadlet is so cute - you've taken a great photo so we can see the size of it, and admire the detail of its tiny little feet!

Well done for rescuing some of the toads - I hope they do well so you can have more tiny toadlets next year too!

Post 8

smiley - smileyIf I may ask
Q1 - Is that the adult size ?
Q2 - Is there no conservation group of sorts that can "protect" them on their travels ?
Q3 - Or even to the extreme ? the local council (or whoever ?) find the cash to build an underpass below the road ? on their "migratory route" ? if there is one smiley - erm

Post 9

The ones that walk down the hill in spring which I think must be their parents are this kind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_toad

In many places here they have so-called 'toad fences', which are little fences around the road that keep them from crossing at certain places. I don't think you could really do anything at this place as the street situation with a park, parking lots, the railway and other things at the side of the river and then quite a steep hill down to the water (which the railway crosses).

Post 10

smiley - smileycheers tav

not as many as these though I betsmiley - laugh
http://www.christmas.net.au/experiences/red-crab-migration.html

Post 11

smiley - laugh no, would be hard to walk the dog with so many smiley - winkeye

Post 12

I watched a program about them and the thousands that got killed by cars etc, as the numbers crossing roads was unbelievable and THAT didn't count for the amount of punctures they said smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Summer Garden Report: Austria

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more