A Conversation for Writing Right with Dmitri: Dealing with Information Overload

Junk in the attic

Post 1

Paigetheoracle

I think it is not just how much you store but how it is placed. People who treat what goes in as junk, just throw it anywhere, which makes it difficult to trace if you want anything in particular also you have to clamber over all this rubbish, looking for things. A tidy mind will however have a system, so they know what goes where and can trace things by their identity (a filing system downstairs, for working out what is where upstairs).

So why do people store things things carefully and logically, while others do not? Apathy or being too tired to care versus interest and woken up by possibilities.

Junk in the attic

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Or just the way your brain works. smiley - ok Elektra calls it 'random access memory'. smiley - laugh I call it 'How do you find anything in there?'

I am plagued by associations. One thing will lead to another. Which reminds me that I have to go and look up the location of a place name that appeared, annoyingly, in a dream last night...smiley - run

Junk in the attic

Post 3

FWR

I have a tale ready to go...lets see how close to that place it occurs...dream last night too....

Junk in the attic

Post 4

smiley - grr I looked it up. In my dream, I was supposed to move to Kandahar to run a railway. (I know nothing about railways.) The nice young Indian lady at the office told me so. (She was nicely dressed in modern office clothes and high heels.) She also said it was in Persia. I went there: lovely old house, beautiful furniture. I looked out the window and saw a really weird rock outcropping. I decided to make a quick video to see if Elektra would like it there...

I woke up and snorted, 'Bosh! Kandahar isn't in Iran.'

No, but it *was* in the Persian Empire, alas. And the rocks are there...along with the forty steps the Mughal Emperor carved into them...and the Kandahar Railway is abandoned now...

I hate whoever's sending me these dreams. smiley - rolleyes I wish to point out that Kandahar wasn't in anything I read or thought about this week...seriously. I'm reading 'The Case of the Midwife Toad'. It's about, er, toads. And European biologists...

Junk in the attic

Post 5

FWR

The spirit of the Persian lamp is haunting you GoHL!

Nowhere near Kenya then! Lol

Junk in the attic

Post 6

SashaQ - happysad

Amazing dream - I like how videoing and Elektra were in there along with the geographical information you were sent!

I had a memorable dream myself the same night - I was in my previous place of work trying to build a private meeting room for my current manager. It was hard work lugging 10ft doors into position, but I managed and then I went home satisfied with the day's work. At home, I discovered it wasn't 5pm after all, but only 2.30pm so I had to go back... That made me wake up! smiley - laugh

Interesting about TV... I like to 'see what's on', because I don't know what I don't know is out there and I find some great stuff A87902373A87879910 Ad breaks are a good reminder to me to get something done in between concentrating on the show. Other shows are comforting when I'm doing something else A2181782 but sometimes I do find myself watching something that is not worth watching so I need to make more effort to say no to it and find a DVD.

Television news is something I'm not keen on either, that it often gets repetitive or fills out the time with asking people who don't know the answers if they know what the answers are, so they have to say something without saying anything... I much prefer 'consuming' news via h2g2 and other online sources, and on TV I do like 'comedy news' shows like The Last Leg in the UK, where serious news is dealt with by people who understand it is serious and try to find ways to help people to cope with it...

The video is very disturbing and multi-layered... Worth watching to the end, though smiley - geeksmiley - laugh

Junk in the attic

Post 7

smiley - ok I like that dream, but it sounds like a rather long 'work day'. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Writing Right with Dmitri: Dealing with Information Overload

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more