A Conversation for SashaQ's NaJoPoMo 2017: Q's the Word

SQ NaJoPoMo 2017 - 20: Q is for Queueing

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

Today's Q item is inspired by Bluebottle deciding not to join a long queue to see smiley - santa with his children.

Queuing A155927 from 1999 is a funny Entry, being fairly light on factual content, but it contains a fascinating formula.

I wouldn't like to vouch for the accuracy of the coefficients in the formula, but I can certainly see that the time someone is willing and able to queue for is dependent on personal stamina, the position in the queue and the amount of interest in what is being queued for.

I do take a bit of issue with the example Interest Factors - I think they are actually the author's personal Interest Factors, as someone who isn't interested in the Crown Jewels but is interested in poo would be more likely to queue happily for the latter than the former!

Post 2

Bluebottle

Another factor includes whether we had a table at a restaurant booked in 20 minutes, which we did. I'd've been much more likely to queue if we'd no further plans for the afternoon smiley - tongueout

<BB<

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

Yes indeed, very true - people aren't often queuing for queuing's sake as other things are likely to be happening on the same day...

That would possibly influence what I called the Personal Stamina factor - on a day with nothing else to do, someone will be more comfortable queuing than when there is a limited time available for the task ahead...

smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more