A Conversation for Flash Photography- Hints and Tips From the H2G2 Photographers

Flash Photography- Hints and Tips From the H2G2 Photographers

Post 1

bobstafford

The thread is now open for hints and tips do not forget advice upon the use of paint shop programs if you use them.
Looking forward to the ideas.

We will copy the format of A87878795smiley - smiley

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Hi bob

Thanks for starting off this discussion - another great idea for an Entry smiley - ok

I have to admit I'm not very good with the flash on my camera myself, as it does tend to cast very harsh light and shadows on an object, so I am looking forward to learning more.

I was lucky to enjoy a studio session with my local photography group last year - the light in the studio umbrella enabled the camera to be set up correctly first, then when the flash on the camera went off the object was illuminated to perfection with a fast shutter speed and small aperture. The same settings without flash enabled me to take a great photo of the detail on the Moon too smiley - fullmoonsmiley - biggrinA87867553

Post 3

bobstafford

Thanks added to unedited entry

Like the moon shots smiley - ok

Post 4

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Sorry, I don't think I have replied before. I am not a huge fan of flash, in fact the flash gun on my favorite Canon camera folds down into the body totally disabling it, I consider this a good thing. Flash on anything more than a few metres away is a waste, closer it gives unexpected shadows and high lights. A few studio lights are far better for posed photographs as you can see the effect before taking the shot and the subject is far less inclined to flinch or close their eyes. All that being said there are times when flash is useful for candid shots in low lighting. In this age of digital cameras multiple shots need to be taken in quick succession so the proper one can be chosen. If you really want to take photos in low light I highly recommend you try long exposure time. This can produce some very good, unexpected, effects, such as light trails - a tripod or stable base for the camera is necessary.

Post 5

bobstafford

Hi FS Good tip I am with you and hardly ever use flash, but tips can be aany thing pros and cons thats a good start mate, got any more advice, for or against we need a balanced view smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more