A Conversation for Changing Perceptions

The mysterious night shift

Post 1

cactuscafe

Wow! Nice one, FWR. Really??? You saw him? And others had seen him?

Who was he, then?

Is this real, or a fictional event? Either way, its amazing writing. Great account!

'Like a swarm of noisy steaming mechanical cockroaches' great line.

A bit like something my hero Karl Hyde (Underworld) would write.

smiley - redwine

My mother saw ghosts, wandering around in our childhood home. smiley - rofl. I never met them. The Cavalier and the Lady on the Window Seat. She would break off in conversation to chat to them. Seemed quite natural to us as kids.

Gladys Simmons from the village also saw the Lady on the Window Seat. Mind you, she'd been on the whisky.

Another lady from my parents village told me how her son had cycled through a horse. Like, there was this horse standing in the middle of the road, and he thought he was going to crash into it, 'cos he was going downhill, fast, but luckily it was a ghost horse and he went straight through it.

You never know, do you?

smiley - redwine

Post 2

FWR

The ghost horse seems popular with bikers around the country, must be a lot of them mooching about! (Ghost nags not bikers)

There were several sightings of the coachman back in the day (probably more but people were reluctant to admit it), London Road was obviously the main route out of town for coach travel - there's a new coach station there today but a modern horse powered fleet - and that time of the morning he would've been going to work to get the horses etc ready for the trip south.

Thanks for reading

smiley - cheers

Post 3

cactuscafe

How extraordinary. The coachman. Just when we think we have reality defined, it confuses us again. I like that. Mysterious.

Really?? About the ghost horse. smiley - rofl. The mooching phantom. Perhaps some sightings are just urban myth, road legend. Maybe a biker once did actually speed through a ghost horse, and the idea spread.

I guess there's sightings and sightings. I do know that those who have seen ghosts get very fed up, furious even, if you accuse them of having an over active imagination, being prone to hallucinations, or other such things.

smiley - coffee

Its funny, some aspects of sightings. In victorian times it was all about faeries, then later the almond eyed alien took over from faeries, sort of a collective waking dream state. ?

No! No! I never said anything.

smiley - run Exit pursued by a phantom bulldog which devours sceptics. Slaver slaver, gobble gobble. byeeeee cactuscafe.

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Sic 'em, phantom bulldog. smiley - laugh

It is the Post's firm position that phantoms do occur - but not all witnesses are reliable. FWR, for example, is an A-number-one unimpeachable witness, whom we will back with conviction. As was my late uncle, who had an encounter with a revenant. (A relative, no less.)

On the other hand, there are bogus sightings, often made in good faith.

Take, for example, the person who wrote a book about ghosts from the US Civil War. Among other examples, they cited the one where they saw a ghost in Confederate uniform standing by the side of the road near an old battlefield. As they approached by car, the soldier vanished... They gave the date and time for verisimilitude.

A man wrote in to apologise to the ghost hunter: he was the 'ghost'. Apparently, he and his re-enactor friends were camping in the field, and he got up in the night...anyway, when the car startled him, he lost his balance and fell into a ditch...

Post 5

cactuscafe

What?? Sic 'em you say?? hurrumph.

(Returns as a phantom herself, after the encounter with the bulldog.) smiley - rofl

Great story.

Very decent and noble of him to apologise. smiley - rofl.

smiley - cake

I've experienced picking up energies from a place, usually where something bad has happened. Very scary. That is kind of like a phantom, it seems very real at the time, also on checking I've found that things did happen there. I'm glad I don't get the visuals and the audio to go with it.

Having said that, there's good energies too.

Like Glastonbury Tor, there's a good energy there.

Even though really bad things happened there, with Abbot Richard Whiting.

Perhaps there's layers.

Layers?

Layers of energy, so the bad layers can be healed by the good layers.

Or not.

Probably not.

I'm going now. Back to where people like me come from. smiley - rofl

Interesting debate though

I wonder if walls and bricks and structures store energy, kind of like an essence, a residue?

Post 6

FWR

Confederate soldier haunted my dreams for a while, trawl through the Post for that story, ghost dogs, ghost horses.....wait til I send DG the possessed pigeon story!

There are indeed more things in heaven and earth!

Off to measure Opie up for a foil bonnet smiley - cheers

Post 7

smiley - snork Possessed pigeon...what next? smiley - rofl

I agree, CC: I think structures with perdurance do store energy. Did you know William Golding could do psychometry on archaeological finds? He told a story once about digging up English middens. He also had a weird insight at Thermopylae, I believe it was. He wrote a story called 'The Hot Gates'. I thought it explained a lot about his writing, which I admire. smiley - smiley

I also agree we don't know enough about what these experiences are to be dogmatic and definitive about them - but it's good when we talk about them. smiley - hug

Post 8

cactuscafe

The possessed pigeon is a classic FWR masterpiece in the making. smiley - rofl

Perdurance? Good word.

Meaning? (checks) Permanence. Ah OK.

Interesting about William Golding.

Psychometry? (checks). Kind of like reading objects? Like getting an insight, a message, from an object? Really?? If I'm right. How amazing.

All rather wonderful really. I do like a mystery.

smiley - cake

Drinks hot chocolate and thinks about possessed pigeons.

Post 9

FWR

I shall endeavour to do it justice....mind you, anything that features a character named Michael Joseph Mary Imaculate O'Driscoll may be worth it...totally made up name , but the pigeon and what follows is true...honest!

smiley - winkeye

Post 10

cactuscafe

How can anyone resist a name like that. smiley - rofl

I believe you, that the rest is true, especially the pigeon bit.

Sort of. A bit. Erm ..OK ...definitely.

Post 11

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

I find I can hardly wait for this opus to appear.

Post 12

cactuscafe

smiley - rofl Me too.

Today I told a pigeon in the park about the possessed pigeon. Not out loud of course, more like telepathically.

It reckoned that FWR was onto something, and that he should be listened to at all times.

It also reckoned that I should eat more chocolate. I think it really was a psychic pigeon, so I went and purchased a chocolate bar which was very nice.

End of quite stupid posting, but hey, h2g2 is a poetic place.

Post 13

FWR

I met a guy in Paris once who swore the pigeons could communicate with him telepathically, but I think that was more red wine than chocolate CC!

Sadly I've let myself down again, started writing a very short piece about the possessed bird and have once again started an epic....but it was a very convoluted tale!

smiley - cheerssmiley - chocsmiley - redwine

Post 14

cactuscafe

smiley - rofl I love it. Nothing like French red wine smiley - redwine to open up the portals to life's secrets.

Hmm. Perhaps my pigeon really was psychic. I'll go find him today, thank him for the choccie. smiley - chocsmiley - rofl

Excellent! An epic! One can't be too brief when it comes to convolutions. Is there such a word? Convolutions.

Post 15

FWR

Done and sent in, poor DG has another weird one to sort out!
smiley - run

Post 16

smiley - rofl I'll get it done - but y'all will have to wait until 9 October to read it.

Post 17

smiley - snork And it will be worth the wait. I've only got through section 1, and I'm hooked. smiley - rofl

FWR: h2g2's answer to Tom Holt.

Key: Complain about this post