A Conversation for Brading Roman Villa, Isle of Wight, UK

Peer Review: A87892221 - Brading Roman Villa, Isle of Wight, UK

Post 1

SashaQ - happysad

Entry: Brading Roman Villa, Isle of Wight, UK - A87892221
Author: SashaQ - happysad - Editor - U9936370

Here is an Entry about a place on the Isle of Wight.

Surprise! It is not by Bluebottle, it is by me smiley - laugh

I enjoyed visiting this museum when I was on my holidays and I hope you enjoy this Entry smiley - biggrin

A87892221 - Brading Roman Villa, Isle of Wight, UK

Post 2

bobstafford

Hello SashaQ

Good work I especially liked the way the entry places the villa both in the landscape and history, nicely done.

The description of the villa today is excellent and describes what the visitor expect.

Two footnotes to suggest.

tesserae:- what are they? We know they are the small pieces of
colored tiles that made up the mosaic. Confirm this to the reader
please.

Also

Sir John Oglander seated at Nunwell:- 12 May 1585 – 28 November 1655
Notable as an leader during the English civil war, and he
took on the duty of ensuring the safety of king Charles Ist when he
was imprisoned in Carisbrooke Castle.

Surprised BB missed this one smiley - laughsmiley - cheers

Post 3

Bluebottle

The Isle of Wight is almost infinite in complexity, history and geography, despite being at first glance only 26 miles by 13 miles (approx 150 square miles), and I am only one Researcher. smiley - tongueout

I didn't know if you wanted to add more detail about the mosaics, such as Medusa and the unique cock-headed man (as in cockerel, for those with dirty minds).

The Oglander family were the principal landowners of Brading, including the famous Sir John Oglander, Deputy Governor of the Isle of Wight, High Sherriff of Hampshire and MP for Yarmouth, Isle of Wight. Sir John is definitely a fascinating character and a staunch Royalist - his memoirs are fascinating reading and remain the main source of what happened on the Isle of Wight during the Stuart era. He humanises them as in the middle of paragraphs in which he discusses events of political importance he breaks off to write tear-stained, heartfelt and heart-wrenching sentences expressing his pain at the death of his beloved son.
That said, fascinating as Sir John Oglander is (and worthy of an entry in his own right), he doesn't really have a direct link with Brading Roman Villa other than the fact that Louisa Oglander was his great-great-great-great grandson's wife. As the most prominent member of the Oglander dynasty, I suppose the money wealth used to buy the site may have passed down the generations from Sir John…? smiley - 2cents Bit of a tedious link, though…

<BB<

Post 4

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks bob and <BB< smiley - ok

smiley - doh Yes, of course I wanted to add more detail about the mosaics, and was in such a rush to put it in Peer Review I missed out the section smiley - laugh I have added it in now smiley - ok

Post 5

bobstafford

Excellent description you deserve a smiley - ale for thatsmiley - smiley

Just one suggestion for a tweak to the footnotesmiley - ok

Medusa was a being in the form of a woman, whose hair was snakes from Greek Mythology
she was a monster her parents were Gaea (Earth) and Oceanus (Ocean). smiley - biggrin

Post 6

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Yes, I was surprised to see an Isle of Wight entry not written by Bluebottle.

A couple of small things:

In "The Villa" section, 3rd paragraph "after the site was abandoned and in disrepair" might read better as "after the site was abandoned and fallen into disrepair".

In "The Mosaics" section, 2nd paragraph 8th line "it may have had some religous significance" -> "it may have had some religious significance".

Nice job.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

Cheers bob smiley - cheers

Hello Zarquon's Singing Fish smiley - biggrin I've made some tweaks - I was trying to avoid even more repetition of 'fallen', so I've rephrased instead. I attended to the typo, I've amended the mention of Medusa and I've added more links smiley - ok

Post 8

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Rewording is much better, SashaQ. smiley - oksmiley - cheers

As you say in the entry, it's a nice place to bring children and my son really enjoyed it when I took him some years ago.

Post 9

bobstafford

Well done Sasha
Just right I can't think of any more good work smiley - oksmiley - cheers

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 11

bobstafford

smiley - alesmiley - bubbly Well done smiley - cheers

Post 12

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Excellent - well done, SashaQ! smiley - bubblysmiley - oksmiley - bubbly

Post 13

SashaQ - happysad

Thanks everyone smiley - biggrinsmiley - magicsmiley - bubbly

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Brading Roman Villa, Isle of Wight, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more