A87891853 - Shanklin Lift, Isle of Wight, UK

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Yay! smiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrin

Goes to read the Entry smiley - run

Post 3

SashaQ - happysad

What an excellent Entry - concise and informative smiley - oksmiley - oksmiley - ok

Thank you very much for researching that smiley - biggrin

I accidentally ended up in Shanklin on Wednesday, because the Island Line has the old fashioned method of crossing to the other platform avoiding stairs (ie the person who wants to cross the tracks gets on the train via the accessible platform, goes to the end of the line, and stays on the train until it reverses direction) but sadly I didn't have time to find the lift - definitely something to add to the itinerary for next time smiley - ok

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Very interesting Entry. smiley - smiley

Post 5

Bluebottle

I've written about things I've thought would be of interest and are popular topics, only for no-one to bat an eye-lid, only to learn after all this time that I should have been writing about a lift shaft.smiley - shrug

<BB<

Post 6

We live and learn. smiley - winkeye

Post 7

Icy North

Hi, did someone say interesting entry? smiley - winkeye

This entry's great, even if I'd been expecting one about the banned wrestling hold with the same name.

Last time I visited Shanklin, I was fleeced by the chine operators, so took the lift back up.

I've also ridden the Alum Bay chairlift, but not the white-knuckle escalator in BHS Newport - does that still exist?

Post 8

Bluebottle

Last time I was in Newport I don't think anyone had moved into where BHS used to be (it closed about this time next year) - I'm still mourning the loss of Woolworths and HMV from that end of townsmiley - wahsmiley - cry. There are two more escalators in Newport now - at Cineworld Cinema and Sports Direct.

<BB<

Post 9

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Great entry, Bluebottle. Fascinating. I had a quick look to see if I could find a picture of the lift, and I found this 2015 link which talks about the repairs needed: http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/unsafe-shanklin-cliff-lift-closed-78678.aspx

In my time, we were allowed to include external links. Is this still allowable, or are they disallowed in case they become broken?

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 10

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

PS: Such a shame about the original lift - it does sound elegant and well-built.

Looking for an image of the original I came across this which indicates the lift was built in 1892, rather than 1891 - http://www.iwhistory.org.uk/timeline/ - you may have more accurate info, or it could be that the lift was begun in 1891 and completed in 1892? I did find an image of the old lift, though: http://www.bartiesworld.co.uk/postcards/shanklin2.htm

Post 11

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Ah, I see sources disagree: https://thebeautyoftransport.com/2013/06/12/lovin-an-elevator-aquadom-berlin-germany/

Post 12

Bluebottle

External links are still allowed, although if this entry gets to the Front Page, I've got a few photos I've taken of the lift lined up to illustrate it with so people can see what it looks like now. We can also use copyright free images when we haven't got photos ourselves (such as for the original lift), but we do have to be careful that they definitely are copyright free and that the source is credited.

I imagine it is as simple as construction starting in 1891 and the lift opening in 1892 – they have information boards outside and inside the lift giving its history, so as the lift itself says '1891' that's the date I'll go with.smiley - ok

<BB<

Post 13

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Thanks for clarifying that. At least one of the photos on one of the links I posted said it was in the Creative Commons, so could be used if credited.

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 14

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 15

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

smiley - bubblysmiley - applause

Post 16

bobstafford

Well done congratulations >BB>
An interesting entry on a place I have visited good work smiley - cheers

Post 17

smiley - applause

Post 18

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations! I'm very pleased to see this Entry going up into the Edited Guide smiley - magic

Key: Complain about this post