A Conversation for Shanklin Chine, Isle of Wight, UK

A87890647 - Shanklin Chine, Isle of Wight, UK

Post 21

SashaQ - happysad

I was lucky to be able to write an Entry set on the Isle of Wight just to surprise people A87892221 as I enjoyed my summer holiday there this year smiley - laugh

While I was on the Island, I saw the Robin McInnes Shanklin Chine book on a top shelf in the Brading Roman Villa Shop so I couldn't reach it but thought nothing much of it as I assumed it would be in all good bookshops for home delivery. However, it surprised me today to find out it isn't!

Is the book a textbook style, or is it quite readable?

Post 22

Bluebottle

If you mean 'Shanklin Chine Isle of Wight its history, Environment and Culture' by Anne Springman and Robin McInnes I highly recommend it - very readable and lots of illustrations. As these include artwork by Turner, you can't really get any better illustrations anywhere.

McInnes also co-wrote 'The Book of the Solent' so if you can find a copy of that, it is very similar in style. (Annoyingly he spelt my granddad's surname wrong).

<BB<

Post 23

SashaQ - happysad

Ah smiley - bigeyes

I don't really need any more books at the moment, as my pile of unread ones is large enough, but I was just looking at the h2g2 Book on Amazon and 'Shanklin Chine Isle of Wight its history, Environment and Culture' by Anne Springman and Robin McInnes might just have slipped into my basket smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnote

The Solent book is somewhat easier to get hold of, so I've saved that for a later date when my pile of books is a bit smaller... smiley - ok

Post 24

SashaQ - happysad

I do like a book with marbled endpapers and gold edging smiley - drool

I can see the influence of the book in the Natural Beauty section, but I don't think that will concern Prof McInnes, especially as you have referenced it smiley - ok

I see that one of my partner's ancestors lived in Tower Cottage for a time, so perhaps that's how she picked up a bit of the Island dialect smiley - biggrin

Have you visited the Chine often yourself?

I look forward to seeing this Entry make its way into the Edited Guide smiley - ok

Post 25

Bluebottle

Entry: Shanklin Chine, Isle of Wight, UK - A87890647
Author: Bluebottle - U43530

It is definitely a challenge to find things to write about a place that the acknowledged expert and the person whose family has owned the place for hundreds of years haven't mentioned. Yes, I've been to exhibitions there – but guess who puts on the exhibitions? I also own other books that describe the Chine, but guess who is always the author or mentioned in the references? So yes, there is definitely a degree of overlap, but I added more about the surrounding area and period context that isn't in the book.

I've been to the Chine a fair few times over the years, don't know exactly how many. Not somewhere we'd normally go to, though, as it cost money to get in.

<BB<

Post 26

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

Ah, yes - a bit of a shame that it is expensive to go in, but on the other hand the mosses will appreciate it that the through-traffic is limited...

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 27

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 28

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations smiley - magic

Post 29

bobstafford

smiley - ok well done smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Shanklin Chine, Isle of Wight, UK

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more