A Conversation for 'Star Trek' Characters - Guinan

Peer Review: A87887083 - 'Star Trek' Characters - Guinan

Post 1

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Entry: 'Star Trek' Characters - Guinan - A87887083
Author: Galaxy Babe - spaghettified editor - U128652

I found an unfinished entry A2304622 on Guinan by Em which I have added to and polished up. Hope we have done the lady justice.

GB

A87887083 - 'Star Trek' Characters - Guinan

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Hi GB smiley - biggrin

Excellent to see this in Peer Review - Guinan is a superb character indeed smiley - ok

I think it could do with a bit more of an introduction, as the current first paragraph requires a lot of knowledge of the Star Trek universe to decode...

I wondered who/what are the Borg, Data, Q, Jean-Luc, timeline rules. I see you mention Next Generation later, so that would be helpful to mention earlier smiley - ok

Do you know what Guinan says about Uncle Terkin?

" people come and stare out the window" - is that the window of Ten Forward?

" fantasy Leah Brahms" - is Leah a fantasy child?

Is Ro Tasha's daughter?

Excellent final paragraphs smiley - biggrinsmiley - love

Post 3

Bluebottle

A very enjoyable entry – although I'm not sure I'd describe Guinan's appearance in 'Generations' as merely a cameo. 'Nemesis' is definitely a cameo as she is merely a party guest, but she has a role and part to play in the plot of 'Generations'. As she is on the Enterprise-B at the start of the film and is rescued by Kirk, and later advises Picard when he is in the Nexus, her role bookends the film, binding the whole together.

<BB<

Post 4

Thanks bothsmiley - ok

I have made adjustments and hopefully it's clearer nowsmiley - biro

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - diva

Post 5

SashaQ - happysad

Excellent tweaks, thank you - very clear so it reads smoothly and I enjoyed it indeed smiley - biggrin

Post 6

smiley - biggringood, 'cos there's a couple of things I put in there just for you smiley - winkeye

smiley - hug

Post 7

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - biggrinsmiley - oksmiley - hug

Post 8

Wait till you see what's waiting in the wings... smiley - winkeye

smiley - hug

Post 9

Bluebottle

Are you having this as part of a project on Star Trek characters? Didn't you write about Quark, although I can't see him linked to in this entry?

<BB<

Post 10

Hi BB, smiley - smiley thanks for reading this rescue and I hope you enjoyed it. It wasn't my intention to do a project on Trek characters, these are just one-offs because I enjoy writing about them. Yes I did write about Quark, who is my favourite Ferengi, but didn't link to him in the Guinan entry as there was no reason to. Different programmes, and as far as I know, they never met (and I have watched all the shows). However, I have mentioned Quark nowsmiley - biggrin

smiley - starThere's another Trek character ready to submit to PR when this is recommendedsmiley - ok

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - aliensmile

Post 11

bobstafford

Well done GB good work, don't know enough about the star trek series to provide any comments, but a good entry is a good entry smiley - biggrin

Its nice to see the Voyager re runs now on the TV again.

smiley - bubbly

Post 12

Hi Bob, your comments are most welcome, glad you enjoyed it and hopefully learned a little about Guinan. Is Voyager the only Trek you watch? smiley - smiley

Believe it or not I found a "Quark vs Guinan" page on Facebook yesterday, but I'm not going to add that to the entry as Facebook tends to be quite fluid compared to our EG.smiley - silly

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - tekcorsmiley - star

Post 13

Bluebottle

I suppose it is possible that Guinan got a bit of shore leave when the Enterprise docked at DS9 during 'Emisary' and met Quark, but she wouldn't have seen the bar at its best. Why didn't Worf invite her to his wedding, eh?

<BB<

Post 14

bobstafford

"Is Voyager the only Trek you watch?"

No watch them all not as a fan it's just pleasant viewing, and Voyager is more of a linear story as is DS 9. smiley - biggrin

Post 15

smiley - okBob smiley - smiley

>>Why didn't Worf invite her to his wedding, eh?<< Ah, BB, how do we know he didn't? If she liked him herself (which is hinted at), she may have stayed away. I live in hope that after Worf left DS9 at the end of that series, he bumped into Guinan in a bar somewhere, offers to buy her a prune juice... and... well, she might make him her number 24smiley - laugh

Post 16

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Beautifully done, as always! smiley - smiley I don't have anything to add.

Oddly, I never liked Guinan very much as a character - although Whoopi Goldberg brightens any set, of course. I always felt that Guinan received unearned credit for being wise without saying or doing anything of the sort.

But then, I'm probably the only one who thinks Q was seriously underappreciated. I love trickster gods...smiley - winkeye

Post 17

smiley - ta
I would love to know Q and Guinan's back history!smiley - eureka

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - wizard

Post 18

That would make a good novel. smiley - smiley Or one of those Youtube episodes.

Post 19

Bluebottle

You say that Guinan recommends Ro Laren to Picard, describing her as her friend. As Ro later betrays them all, what does that tell us about Guinan's judgement?smiley - winkeye

<BB<

Post 20

It tells you that series writers do not pay attention. smiley - rofl

Key: Complain about this post