A Conversation for The Thirteen Club: Debunkers or Mythmakers?

Peer Review: A87860091 - The Thirteen Club: Debunkers or Mythmakers?

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Entry: The Thirteen Club: Debunkers or Mythmakers? - A87860091
Author: Dmitri Gheorgheni - U1590784

Yes, I know we already have a 'Friday the 13th' entry in the Guide. (It's linked to, and an update request is on its way to Editorial Feedback.) But this is the result of assiduous research on my part, trying to put paid to what I regard as the ridiculous notion that most people in the Middle Ages actually had, or used, calendars.

Anyhow, I thought it was funny.

smiley - dragon

A87860091 - The Thirteen Club: Debunkers or Mythmakers?

Post 2

ITIWBS

Middle ages, calendars, actually calendrical time keeping was usually done a church deacon charged with fixing the dates of the holy days, what Copernicus did for a living before going on to create modern astronomy.

Other expedients in that mostly illiterate age included tally sticks* to keep track of days between rent payments, also serving as receipts.

Tally sticks, sticks with notches cut in them representing days and/or payments, split lengthwise to prevent cheating, put together, the two sides had to match.

Also, just in case you haven't already seen it, new listing at Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/49972

Post 3

smiley - ok

Post 4

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I enjoyed this Entry. smiley - smiley

I would guess that the avoidance of 13 people at the table is older because it immediately reminded me of Sleeping Beauty (the 13th fairy isn't invited to the Party, allegedly because of the lack of a 13th golden plate).

Post 5

Thanks, Tav. smiley - smiley I suspect you're right about the number 13 and gatherings being older. Certainly older than this Friday the 13th nonsense.

But I didn't remember that version of Sleeping Beauty. Is it that way in Grimm? I'll have to look.

Post 6

minorvogonpoet

This is intriguing and good fun. smiley - smiley

I wondered whether the section headed 'Triskaidekaphobia' was potentially confusing, saying that the fear of the number 13 goes back a long way, then that the refusal to have 13 people at a dinner party only dates back to the early 19th century. smiley - erm

Incidentally, do you remember the fate of Apollo 13?

Post 7

Yes, it's the Grimm version of Sleeping Beauty.
I even found it in German with translation to English:

http://germanstories.vcu.edu/grimm/dorn_dual.html

Post 8

smiley - ok I've reworded a bit, and split a paragraph.

Thanks for the link, Tav. I've known a version of that story all my life, but didn't remember how the Kinder- und Hausmaerchen version went. smiley - smiley

Post 9

minorvogonpoet

smiley - ok

Post 10

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

There is a popular myth about the Royal Navy http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/6896203.stm although there is no truth in it, I have heard it repeated many timessmiley - smiley

One thing that I have seen is that while a high-rise building is under construction the floors are just numbered in order, including 13. When the final elevators (lifts) are installed they skip the 13th floor. We often measure the floors at the construction stage, and after manufacturing the product, install it after the floor numbers have been changed. This has caused some confusion over the years.

I once worked on a Chinese-American retirement home and they had a note in the project package that they would skip floor number 4, as the number sounds like 'death' in Chinese and is considered very unlucky.

Just thought you might find this interesting.

I wish I could have been post 13smiley - sadface

smiley - cheers

F smiley - dolphin S

Post 11

Heh-heh. Thanks for the link! smiley - laugh

I kept running into that Chinese superstition, too.

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

This is an excellent entry, Dmitri.

I had never heard of a superstition about Fridays in general until I read "Diary of a Pilgrimage" by Jerome K Jerome, published in 1891, in which a character pours scorn on the idea of never going on a journey on a Friday, and states that he did it once to prove the superstition wrong and discovered that he had a great time. In fact he would always arrange his journeys to be on a Friday if possible.

The only suggestion I have to improve the entry is this:

This is true today --> This is still true today

smiley - oksmiley - booksmiley - galaxy

Post 13

Hey, thanks for the read - and the suggestion. smiley - smiley

Post 14

bobstafford

Very interesting smiley - smileysmiley - cheers

Post 15

AlexAshman

Interesting piece. If you include the (unrelated) 1933 film 'Friday the Thirteenth', there are in fact already 13 films with the name.

Post 16

smiley - laugh I didn't know that. Let me see if I can get it in a note, thanks!

Post 17

smiley - ok Done - and a link to the film, in case anyone wants to watch it. (I do.)

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 19

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - applause

Post 20

Congratulations!

Key: Complain about this post