A Conversation for Colours of Wildlife: Burrowing Owl

Interesting article on these pretties!

Post 1

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

It is a truly lovely painting, Willem. I love how you managed to convey the tiny feathers on the bird's feet. I like them imitating rattlesnakes as well. Thanks for sharing this critter with us. I think it is interesting that they are fairly social in their burrows. Usually raptors tend to be fairly solitary or have a mate. It would be interesting to see what sort of social interactions they have with each other. It would be cool if we could see it in 'Nature' or some other show like they did with the meerkats.

Post 2

ITIWBS

I remember once setting out for work early in the predawn hours, catching a burrowing owl in the headlamps of the car standing i the middle of the driveway.

Very spooky.

Screech Owls are also very social and often pursue passers by in flocks, screeching at them, in a manner reminescent of barking dog packs.

Post 3

Willem

Hi Elektra and ITIWBS! Thanks a lot for the comments! I didn't know that about screech owls. Over here, all our owls are very solitary.

Post 4

Barneys Bucksaws

Great article! I saw these little owls in a field in southeastern Saskatchewan. We spent most of the afternoon watching these little guys with binoculars and a spotting scope. In Saskatchewan they are protected, meaning you can't do anything to a field where they are living. With most of the province being farmland, its nice to know the Government is preserving some scrub-land where these little owls can live in peace.

Post 5

Willem

Hi and thanks for the comment! I'm really happy they're being protected over there!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Colours of Wildlife: Burrowing Owl

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more