A Conversation for I Couldn't Care Less: Invisible Carers

Levels of "caring"

Post 1

George

1 out of 10 is surely a large percentage of the population. Can I assume you mean 1 out of 10 people 25 - 70 years of age who are not already in the care of others for problem(s) that physically are so unlikely to be done by the one cared for, that otherwise they would be in an institution?

In my experience I have noticed that the # of "things" I care for has increased slowly and are narrowing in perimeter toward "things" that fewer and fewer others care for.

I am still careful (except in one case) to never let the "care" get close to exceeding my adult acceptance of it. I'm unreserved enough to engage 10s of people from across an other than uniform interest about "what can be done" and "how will this play out" and so on. I'm not a stiff upper lip person.

So, would you provide some thoughts about "levels of care"? Those that from which you cannot even take a vacation from, those that are of the sort that "can", if you let it, "totally consume waking/non-work time", those that are not on a schedule, and those that are mechanical, i.e. you not even be seen by the one under care.

Around where I live as an example of getting swamped are rather regular stories of people who (used to) care about homeless, domestic pets (cats, dogs, chickens, horses). The people end up going kind of crazy when their resources give out and here are the animals. The stories that make the papers are of squalor.

Since the cared for are not humans, the conditions get awful, before authorities step in.

For people helping/caring for people the same psychological pressures are there. I don't know how much unchallenged empathy is helpful, as in "I hear you and understand, but no, I won't share your burden."

I already know one person who is sure to "one up" you on how put upon they are and how there is no way out. [This is for a family member caring for a family member.]

I look forward to what more you have to share on your subject.

Levels of "caring"

Post 2

benjaminpmoore

Hi George. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but you've given me a great deal to consider and I didn't want to give youa half hearted response. In answer, then, to just your first question: no, sadly, I don't mean just people over 25. I don't have the figures to hand, but there are a huge number of young carers (some as young as 5) supporting sibblings or parents in need of care and support.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for I Couldn't Care Less: Invisible Carers

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more