A Conversation for August Create - Heavy metal, lemonade and an all too brief shooting star

RIP Randy

Post 1

cactuscafe

Great article! Thanks! I must confess, even though I pride myself on my musical knowledge, it must be quite limited smiley - rofl, because I hadn't heard of Randy. So now I'm a fan, and thanks for the knowledge!

I love Ozzy.

Where does Tony Iommi fit into all this then? I must research my Sabs chronology.

Serious about the Motorhead gig and the parachutists? So Lemmy , looking up at the sky, going huh? smiley - rofl. I love it.

Thanks again! Nice writing.

cc smiley - ok

RIP Randy

Post 2

FWR

thanks CC,
Randy was such a brilliant guitarist, classically trained and playing with Ozzy whilst he was waiting for a place at music college to study the classics apparently!

Iommi was still fronting what was left of Sabbath, RJ Dio attempting vocals at the time, I think over the next three years they tried 5 different singers, never the same though. Saw the 'first' reunion concert in Birmingham, were Bill Ward promptly had a heart attack , another highlight was Zakk Wylde playing guitar at the Ozzfest with geezer Butler during the Sabbath set (think that was 1999 or 2001?)

Brings me onto the much awaited '13' album...some things should be left to memory, sadly Sabbath studio albums included! although there are two decent tracks that are definately Sabs of old, the rest are just Tony Iommi riffs and a badly synthed Ozzy voiceover, ah well they are pushing 70! smiley - wah

RIP Randy

Post 3

cactuscafe

Hmm interesting, thanks freewayriding! Did Bill Ward have a heart attack on stage?

Just checked the Amazon reviews for '13', not too bad, but perhaps not for me.

What's the best Black Sabbath albums, in your opinion? I think I need to order a couple, (I like CDs), probably early ones?

RIP Randy

Post 4

FWR

about 20 mins before gig,poor Bill!

all the original albums in the Ozzy era, Sabotage, Vol4 and Masters of Reality are my faves.

RIP Randy

Post 5

cactuscafe

OK thanks freewayriding! I'll check out those albums. Some Sabs tracks to spice up my shuffle!

RIP Randy

Post 6

FWR

Such sad news today, Ozzy, the Prince of Daftness, suffering from Parkinson's. Horrible news.

RIP Randy

Post 7

FWR

Just watched the the Blizzard of Ozz anniversary documentary, some wonderful memories amongst the usual hype. Jeez, what a genius Randy was.

RIP Randy

Post 8

FWR

Forty years, wow!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for August Create - Heavy metal, lemonade and an all too brief shooting star

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more