This is the Message Centre for FWR

A fortnight til insanity calls.

Post 1

FWR

Holes in History is a mere two weeks away!

A lot of research later, and I have the bones of a tale.

Wonder how long before Abner Doon pops up, really hope I can get to the end...

Good luck to all who are tempting madness this November?

smiley - cheers

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Well done on gathering the bones of your tale - good luck to you and I look forward to reading your chapters smiley - cheers

Post 3

FWR

I'm sure you may recognise some of the Old place names! smiley - cheers

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

This is going to be fun! smiley - smiley

Post 5

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Good luck with your projects, FWR and everyone else.

Is it legal to start writing the November journal articles in advance? I'm afraid I would forget the ideas that come to me. Please say it's OK> smiley - grovel

Post 6

Since you're not doing the Post's project, Paul, you can do whatever you want. smiley - laugh Nobody's overseeing a monthly journal project, since the Researchers who started that 'tradition' have Elvised.

Post 7

FWR

Wow DG, something is actually legal in Pennsylvania? smiley - cheers

Post 8

The answer is probably yes, but you need to do it before 6:00 p.m., when they role up the sidewalks in Philadelphia and other cities. smiley - evilgrin

Post 9

smiley - laugh I've lived in Philly and Pittsburgh, they're pretty lively. But around here, it gets fairly quiet after dark, if you don't count the McDonald's. smiley - rofl

It is perfectly legal to shoot groundhogs any day but Sunday. smiley - whistle But if they catch you baiting deer, you'll be in trouble.

Post 10

I've never seen any deer here.

Just turkeys, rabbits, groundhogs, and all manner of birds, some more welcome than others.

I also get warned by other residents about the goose nests every Spring.

Post 11

Around here, the deer show up in our yard. They also eat the flowers at the Catholic church's parish office in the next block...

Half an hour ago, the neighbour kids shouted, 'We found a woolly bear!' More exciting than deer.

Post 12

FWR

Anyhoo, that brings us back (seriously) nicely to Holes in History - the Chase.

Post 13

Yes! smiley - ok

Post 14

Woolly bears are sometimes used as a way of predicting the severity of the coming Winter.

" The longer the woolly bear's black bands, the longer, colder, snowier, and more severe the winter will be. Similarly, the wider the middle brown band is associated with a milder upcoming winter. The position of the longest dark bands supposedly indicates which part of winter will be coldest or hardest. If the head end of the caterpillar is dark, the beginning of winter will be severe. If the tail end is dark, the end of winter will be cold. In addition, the woolly bear caterpillar has 13 segments to its body, which traditional forecasters say correspond to the 13 weeks of winter"
http://www.weather.gov/arx/woollybear

[I'm resorting to an outside website because the Guide doesn't have a woolly bear entry. I usually see wooly bears on my lawn, but it isn't usually until November that they appear.]

Post 15

The woolly bear next door was ALL BLACK. smiley - grr

Post 16

ITIWBS

Probably early to ask, it is it okay to use the edited entry system for November journal entries?

smiley - biggrinOn wooley bears, there was a wooley bear climax this past year in the Colorado desert, following the cowslip climax.

Millions of the the little critters.

Post 17

Wow, I've never heard of a 'climax'. smiley - bigeyes

I'm not sure what you mean by 'edited entry system'.

If you mean, can you write a November project - either ours, from the Post, or one you made up yourself - and make each day an A-space, then the answer is 'yes'. smiley - ok

See this page? A88002092 That's my November project. In the table, a new chapter title will appear each day, linked to the a-page with that chapter. That's so I can add links, photos, and embedded Youtubes.

If that's what you meant, go for it!

If you meant, could you put them in PR? No. Not unless what you wrote was a guide entry.

Post 18

FWR

And..... There it goes, sooo close! I've looked at clouds from both sides now!

Post 19

smiley - rofl

Post 20

Okay, here's why you do this research lark.

I've just read the memory of a man who was 7 years old in 1831. His family was moving into the woods near Brookville. In the morning, the little boy ran to the grownups, all excited, and said he'd just seen the oddest-looking donkey. It had really thin legs and a small nose.

They told him it was a deer. smiley - reindeer

Key: Complain about this post