A Conversation for The Water Parks Of Stoke-on-Trent

Alternative Writing Workshop: A87758851 - The Water Parks Of Stoke-on-Trent

Post 1

Storm

Entry: The Water Parks Of Stoke-on-Trent - A87758851
Author: Storm - U14338867

Alone in Cardiff with nothing to do but dine leisurely (it’s a hard life but somebody has to live it) I found my mind drifting to my secret hobby. I love visiting water parks and have written about them in the alternative writing workshop. I once dragged my family all the way from Bordeaux to Acheson in an attempt to visit a water park but luckily I am well served by my proximity to Stoke-On-Trent.

A87758851 - The Water Parks Of Stoke-on-Trent

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Hey, this is really interesting. smiley - biggrin What a fun hobby, especially as you have a young person to share it with.

Now, I'm going to steal this for smiley - thepost when you're all done discussing it, so I want to ask the all-important question:

Do you have a picture? smiley - winkeye

Post 3

Storm

Actually I do; it's all hands and feet coming off a slide. I'll find it and include.

Post 4

Great. smiley - biggrin You'll have to email it to us at the Post, but take your time, I'm planning for the 28th.

Post 5

Bluebottle

My wife (then girlfriend) went to Staffordshire Uni at Stoke (1998-2001) doing Film & History (my assistant went there at the same time too, curiously enough). I must say that the waterpark there is BRILLIANT - especially the water roller coaster. I've only ever been to one other waterslide like it, which is in Basingstoke. Anyone near Staffordshire should definitely visit.

The website is: http://www.waterworld.co.uk/

Not been to the Alton Towers waterpark, though. Is that quite new?

<BB<

Post 6

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Morning,

Waterworld is the only waterpark I have ever been to, living near to N Staffs for a few years when the children were teenagers. I had no idea it was better than others. Although my daughter did need first aid after using the Space Bowl, as she got hit in the jaw by a someone else just when falling into the water at the bottom.

I think the wave making could be made a bit more of, for the younger children who can swim, but who're frightened of the slides, or who don't want to wait in the queues? Is the heated outdoor portion available all year round? I vaguely remember it...

As Alton Towers are not in Stoke, I wonder if the title should be Waterparks of North Staffordshire?

SOT is a city independent from N Staffs, but is entirely surrounded by the county.

There is an Edited Entry on Staffordshire A53660595 that this could be linked to

I feel a bit jealous that Dmitri has nabbed this first, for the Post - as it would have made a good Edited Entry for the Guide, smiley - smiley, although it would mean the delightful introductory first paragraph might have to be tweaked slightly.

Thanks for writing this Storm, you get the right to a Create badge smiley - ok

Post 7

Bluebottle

You can write something for both smiley - thepost and the Edited Guide, I've done it dozens of times.

What you do have to do is make them sufficiently different so it isn't exactly the same entry. So for a version for smiley - thepost you can be as subjective as you like, mention what You like and what You do, your family's experiences at the waterpark in as much detail as you want and give your opinions too. Then, when you write the version for Peer Review, remove the 'I's and 'We's and make it more factual in focus, and perhaps add more detail.

That way, you can have an article on the same topic with the same basic focus and structure in both smiley - thepost and Peer Review.

<BB<

Post 8

Storm

The water park at Alton Towers is quite new. It's part of an attempt to make it into a resort with a hotel etc.

I think Waterworld has a fairly interesting history it went bankrupt at some point.

Post 9

Storm

Oh and as to first aid I'm suprised the space Bowl passes the risk assesment. It feels dangerous!

Post 10

Bluebottle

The first time I went down a space bowl (not that one) I didn't notice it wasn't a normal slide (as I didn't have my glasses on) went down the hole in the middle head first and was a bit stunned quite deep under water, and it took a fair few seconds for me to work out which way was up. A little scary. Now I try to make sure I go feet first.

<BB<

Post 11

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I have a relation who works at the Towers - he is a professional photographer, it may be that I can ask him nicely for a promo shot of the waterpark there.

Post 12

Bluebottle

Do you live in Cardiff or are you just visiting? I thought you lived in Manchester, or am I confused? And wouldn't it be quicker/nearer to go from Cardiff to Basingstoke along the M4 if you wished to visit a water slide?
http://www.basingstokeleisure.com/aquadrome/FAC_Pool

When my girlfriend lived in Stoke we used to go to the swimming pool, and then maybe have a meal at Fatty Arbuckles and then go to the Odeon for a film after. Am I imagining things, or did they have a Quasar there too?

<BB<

Post 13

Storm

BB I’m impressed. I actually live in Birmingham but travel regularly to Cardiff,Manchester and London for work. I also go to Leeds but less often. I have cousins in the M4 corridor area and I think a trip to Basingstoke could definitely be in order.

I find the clustering of attractions such as this interesting. Birmingham has 3 Botanical gardens whilst Manchester has none.

I’m fascinated by the garden festivals. An iconic poster of my childhood was a picture of a grey prison with barred windows. At one the windows was a window box and the slogan ‘Liverpool garden Festival’.

Post 14

Bluebottle

I believe there are also large indoor waterparks in Blackpool, Poole and Newcastle. (I walked right past the Newcastle one when walking Hadrian's Wall, but alas couldn't go inside).

<BB<

Post 15

Storm: Could you send me that photo at:

postteamhg - at- gmail - dot-com, please?

Post 16

GregPius

I am going to Windermere on Monday, from my current base in London. I know what a mere is, but what water activities do they have in and around Windermere? smiley - smiley

Post 17

Storm

I've lost the photosmiley - sadface I looked everywhere last night but it's vanished.

Post 18

smiley - sadface Sorry to hear that. Your entry is up in smiley - thepost. (I added a swimming pool. smiley - winkeye)

Post 19

Bluebottle

Entry in smiley - thepost is here: A87759391

<BB<

Post 20

Bluebottle

I still think this has Edited Guide potential...

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post