A Conversation for Feedback: Pliny Bugs

BR: New Who's Online

Post 1

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I still don't show up on Who's Online even after logging out, logging back in, and being active in Pliny for 20 minutes or so.

Post 2

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I will log this.
I'm sorry that it doesn't work, and will bug Tech about it.
smiley - towel

Post 3

Pastey

Quick question Amy, do you have JavaScript disabled at all do you know?

Post 4

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Not that I know of--how do I check? I don't show up in either IE 9 or Firefox 15.

Post 5

Probably not, though, because I need Java to do my seasonal test scoring job. It's possible I need to update, because I tend to click cancel on the box asking me to.

Post 6

Pastey

Unfortunately Java and JavaScript are two completely separate things, just to keep matters "simple"

I'll have a poke about and see if I can find out what's causing it.

Post 7

So how do I find out about JavaScript being disabled or not?

Post 8

Google to the rescuesmiley - laugh If it wasn't enabled before, it is now. I don't have time right now to poke around, but I will latersmiley - ok

Post 9

Pastey

( sorry, at w*rk at the moment, so I'm only online sporadically )

Post 10

Fair 'nuffsmiley - ok

Well, Java updated and JavaScript enabled, and after logging out and logging back in and staying in Pliny while I wander around h2g2 for 10 minutes or so... I'm still the little paper person who wasn't there. I'll sign in later as PaperKid and Flamedancer later to see if it's just me (assuming I can remember flamedancer's details--I know I moved both of them over, though, with no problems, unlike my main... smiley - eureka Could the fact that I had to have help converting *this* account have anything to do with anything?)

Post 11

PaperKid

This account is invisible, too.

Post 12

Flamedancer

*also invisible*

Post 13

Should I try on my husband's laptop? All my tests have been on mine.

Post 14

Witty Moniker

It couldn't hurt to try, Amy. This sure is weird.

Post 15

I'll feel really silly if this is all from my end, because of security settings or somethingsmiley - laugh

Post 16

Baron Grim

I've read that the New Who'sit drops folks that haven't loaded a new pliny page after 10 minutes, and that it doesn't count the refreshing of the Who's Online page itself.

Might I suggest another think on that for the full integrated site version as that drops people who actually are "online". The ten minute period is fine, but if someone has a self refreshing page, or refreshes a page on their own most would still consider them "online".

Just a thought (as I look at the very short lists it currently tends to display).

smiley - towel

Post 17

Pastey

The amount of time wasn't just plucked out of thin air, but it is open to amending. The reason we chose 10 minutes is because that's roughly the length of time it takes to read most Entries or forums before needing to move to another page. Obviously some pages need a bit longer, but you'll get picked up again whenever you move off and around.

The reason it won't pick up the Who's Online page as being online is because if you've just got the Who's Online up, which self refreshes, you're not actually online in the site. You've just got one information window open.

If you're on an article, user or forum page, and refresh that, then it will currently pick you up the same as if you've moved to another page within the site.

Post 18

Baron Grim

That's fine, but do consider if y'all make a new "my convos" page that self refreshes to consider folks with that open "lurking", online but passive. With the Convos Popup, I consider that I'm "online" all day because I can see at a glance if a thread I'm on has a new post and can respond quickly. But I would time out on the new system.

Again, just a thought.

smiley - towel

Post 19

Pastey

All constructive thoughts are very welcome smiley - smiley

To get a my convo's working properly we're going to need to build a new API (which is on the List, everything's on the List), I'm not sure how quickly it'll update, definitely quicker than 10 minutes.

It's a case of balancing niceness (constant refeshing/checking) with server load. What we'd be after really is working out what we'd use it for, which is to see if anyone's posted to any conversation that you've taken part in, and letting you know as well as giving you a quick, simple ability to get to that conversation.

Post 20

I know that the old Who's Online had a 15 minute delay--would that make less server load?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more