A Conversation for New h2g2 Feedback

Sugestion - Get a PAGE on Google+

Post 1

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Seriously, do it. NOW. smiley - biggrin

If you want more traffic here, and to tempt people (like me) back, get a Page, put the article of the day on the page, and go from there.

The G+ page would work really well as a front page for the post, etc... And you can have several (volunteer or otherwise) Managers/Editors of the page.

If you don't do it soon, someone else might...

Post 2

Pastey

Hiya, this is actually being looked at. Great minds and all that smiley - winkeye

Post 3

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

WOW I was just thinking "like what we need is.........." and then "cravens i wonder if anyone else..........." and then "where did I put my tea!"

smiley - smiley

Post 4

Pastey

I'm always wondering where I left my tea, usually because I look down and see my mug empty and can't remember having drunk it so it must have wandered off somewhere...

Post 5

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

wandering tea eh! smiley - laugh

Suggestion - Get a PAGE on Google+

Post 6

If you are looking at it, it should have been done by now.

Having spent a fair amount of time on G+ recently, and helping our internal people with Social Media stuff (though they are pretty slow at getting anything done too), it is my Humble Opinion that, in this area, looking at should be, more or less, the same as doing, if only to test the waters.

Thus, spend 5 minutes putting a G+ page up (somebody, anybody), then invite other people to be managers (I'd help on this, initially), then when you change the featured article (or a new Post comes out, or...) {I think this is once a day?} cross post the featured article to G+ publicly, then anybody else that's following can share the article, the ripples can be use to see how well its doing....

There are some small issues with Pages sharing stuff with users, via shared circles, to do with cutting down on Spamming, but these are minor (VMWare's page/circle being a case in point).

I would think that you would want to be early adopters of G+. Initially I was worried it would take away from H2G2, but I think it can only add to it.

I guess (though not being a FB fan) the same is true on the dark side, as well with Twitter - though a quick Google shows me you do both of them already.

As I'm sure you know, you can get a tool to post to all three at once, but this has to be done carefully - (I've seen some blunderous posts on G+ saying "please tweet this"...). (And yes I know Blunderous isn't a word, but it should be!).

The one thing which was holding back people when I mentioned G+ before was the names policy at G+ - which has largely been relaxed now...

Post 7

I'd also love to see an H2G2ers shared circle on G+ - which may need to be done via the page....

Post 8

BTW, if you want to find me on G+ just search for 42ism

smiley - biggrin

Post 9

Pastey

If you're not careful Argon, you'll be roped in to join the Comms team, they're looking for volunteers smiley - winkeye

The reason it's not been a straight jump in is because so far everything else has, which has led to a disjointed social media strategy that we're still getting back on track. A G+ page as I'm sure you're aware isn't just the circles, but there's a hell of a lot more to it that goes very much into the cross product integration that Google are currently rolling out. I do this for a living too smiley - winkeye

Seriously though Argon, d'you fancy joining the Comms volunteer team? They're the ones responsible for managing our FB pages and main Twitter account, along with training other groups in how to use theirs to best advantage. They are looking for help, and if you fancy it I reckon you might get limped with setting up and managing the G+ page smiley - biggrin

Post 10

Hmmmm... Interesting though such a "position" would be I need to balance it with other requirements on my time.

I wouldn't want to be the lead on G+ H2G2 presence, but I wouldn't mind helping to curate it.

Post 11

h2g2 Communications

Do I see a volunteer. :D

Post 12

Pastey

That certainly looks like volunteering to me smiley - winkeye

Post 13

Milla, h2g2 Operations

If that isn't volunteering, I really don't know what would be smiley - winkeyesmiley - winekey
smiley - towel

Post 14

Secretly Not Here Any More

Google+ is a waste of time compared to Facebook & Twitter:

1) Small userbase: Focusing on Twitter and Facebook gives us access to hundreds of millions of people. G+ gives us access to about twelve.

2) Narrow userbase: The only people using G+ are people in the tech industry. Whereas my Gran's on Facebook.

It's on our to-do list. But it's nowhere near the top, because it's an empty echo chamber with a handful of users.

Post 15

Well I think it should be higher, as it sort of fits with the nature of this place! smiley - biggrin

Post 16

Hey, Google+ was launched to huge fanfare, before rapidly slipping into obscelesence.

That in no way fits in with the nature of h2g2 during the BBC era! smiley - winkeye

Post 17

smiley - laugh. Morning dear smiley - laugh

Post 18

Pastey

There's another reason to use g+, but I'll tell 603 what over a pint while I pick his brains.

Post 19

Friday is my next drinking day... as well you know.

Post 20

Pastey

Friday it is then.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more