A Conversation for How to Handle a New Hair-do

I'll just let it grow

Post 1

Weatherwax

I've been meaning to make an appointment for a haircut for a couple of weeks now. My previous hairdresser retired and I worry about how a new one will make me look, about having to explain how I want my hair, about being engaged in conversation by someone who doesn't give a stuff about me, about having my head touched by a stranger, and NOW you tell me I've to worry about what I wear as well!

This is too much to cope with. I think I'll just leave it for another week.

smiley - zen This is me with my hair getting longer.

I'll just let it grow

Post 2

Rosie

smiley - laughSorry...I was only trying to help! smiley - winkeye

but, can I say that long hair suits you smiley - biggrin

I'll just let it grow

Post 3

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Bloody brilliant entry, Rosie. (Why did you drop "the Wlonk"? I miss that!)

Hairdressers. I've given up on them. I cut my children's hair (they *ask* me to).

And I cut my own: I collect it in a big ponytail at the forehead. Lop off a chunk, so that the ponytail is about 17 cm, and the ends (bunched together) would work fine as a big make-up brush. Don't fuss to make it too even. It won't show anyway. Take the elastic out, flip head back and wash away the cuttings. Pretend it took hours at a fine salon, to get those marvelous natural looking layers.

smiley - towel

I'll just let it grow

Post 4

Rosie

Thanks for the compliments...and I quite like your technique for cutting your own hair! Far less stress than enduring the 'Salon Experience' and probably quite cathartic! smiley - biggrin

I might go back to being Rosie the Wlonk, I returned to just plain old Rosie as I'm attempting to do a bit of illustration for other articles and want to appear sensible!!

Too loud too soon...not a good idea. smiley - winkeye

I'll just let it grow

Post 5

ngenerally

Cut my own hair just like that for years. Sadly married into a family of hairdressers. Having your mother in law, who thinks you are an awful hippy, cut your hair is not fabulous. Brings a whole new level of fear and excitement to going to the hairdresser though..sat down in the chair one day with very long hair with henna'd bits and got up with a sensible, chin length, brown bob. For those familiar with the frizzy, Irish curl and the equally frizzy Irish weather, not a good look. Have taken to cutting it myself again and judiciously using hair pins when going for dinner. I have also over the years received many expensive but unwanted hair related gifts. The rolls royce of hair straighteners is currently languishing in my cupboard along with a hair dryer with more fittings than a hoover. At least I didn't have to worry about what to wear smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for How to Handle a New Hair-do

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more