This is the Message Centre for Flame

Bahrain - through my eyes

Post 1

Flame

October 11th 2006

This morning I leave Norfolk behind. I’m heading for a new life in Bahrain, a small island in the Persian Gulf. At the moment it all seems a little surreal, and I’m finding it difficult to contemplate the reality of leaving my old life behind and taking on board the new life that awaits me.

As the plane lifts into the air I shed more than a few tears as I think about all the people that I love dearly and have left behind. I had very little sleep last night, so after a flight meal and a couple of glasses of wine I finally fall into an exhausted sleep.

Just over six hours later the plane touches down in Manama - the city I will be living in throughout my stay in the Middle East. I arrive with two scabby knees, due to a girly night out in the UK a few days before I left. Half a dozen of us hit the town, and the wine, laughter and dancing flowed endlessly. When we arrived home in the small hours of the morning I fell out of the taxi. No, I wasn’t totally intoxicated - although without doubt more than a little tipsy. This of course caused me to get the heel of my boot caught in the taxi door. Honest! Anyway, it was a very good night out, and I have the scars to prove it.

My boyfriend James is waiting at the terminal. As soon as we leave the airport and head into the warm night air I experience a good feeling about this country. A part of me already feels connected to Bahrain in some way, although I can’t really explain exactly what I mean by that statement.

I can’t wait to get back to the apartment to dispose of my suitcases. It’s now 10pm yet I want to be out there taking in the sights, sounds and smells. We live very close to the Seef Mall, the largest mall in Manama, so we head straight over there for a look around.

The Al Seef mall is one of Bahrain’s most popular complexes. It has more than 120 shops; many of them are top designer stores. The mall is thronging with people. I’d expected to feel a huge culture shock but much to my surprise there is very little. The typical Bahraini woman is wearing a long loose-fitting black gown called the Abaya. A few women are fully veiled but most local women cover their hair with a hijab (a headscarf).

Some of the local men are wearing western clothes (especially the younger ones) but many of them are wearing the summer thobe, a white loose, ankle length garment. On their heads they wear a square scarf, some are red and white checked while others are all white. Apparently there is no significance to what headscarf is worn; it’s more of a personal preference. The scarf is held in place by a thick, double black cord. I think the men look quite stunning in their robes.

Time to head back to the apartment. Quite a day!

Post 2

Xantief

Best wishes for your new life! smiley - smiley

Re the headscarf, or kaffiyeh...when I was in Saudi for the Storm, it was explained to me that the red&white pattern signified participation in the Hajj. The cord also serves as a camel-hobble...

Bahrain is 'wet', alcohol-wise, yes?

Ahh, the balmy climate...smiley - envy

Take care, and enjoy!

Post 3

Flame

Hello Naif Tex,

Thanks for your message. I intend to continue with the journal so I hope you'll pop back from time to time.

Bahrain is a 'wet' state although I arrived during the 3rd week of Ramadan. They have always shut the bars during the day for Ram but apparently for the last two years they have also closed all bars in the evenings also. So it was a very 'dry' state, at least for a month.

It's cooled down no end I've been told, but with temperatures in the high 30's and a very high humidity it's pretty zesty as far as I'm concerned. I expect I'll adjust in time.....

Cheers,

smiley - biggrin

Post 4

DJV

Hope it all works out fine (and you don't completely melt away in the heat!).

We've lost a couple and gained a couple in the writing group so it's still ticking along.

Have fun!

:GM:

Post 5

Trout Montague

Some assistance maybe.

A1063577
A944372
A1094203
A1004446

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Flame

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more