A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

2019-04-28 Announcement: Happy 20th Birthday h2g2.com!

Post 21

aka Bel - A87832164

smiley - bubbly

Post 22

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I think there were requests from some researchers who didn't want any photos to be taken or put online.

Post 23

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

I feel saddened (in one sense)smiley - sadface As for my time in "hootoo" I've lost (past away) friendssmiley - sadface some I've met and some I wish I could have met..

In true dignity! None touted sympathy, only to be remembered as "I'm an hootooer" -- Respect!!!!

Post 24

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

I hear absent friends were being toasted, Prof. But then I would have expected nothing less, of course. It made me remember dear Pheloxi whom we both met in real life.

smiley - pirate

Post 25

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I enjoyed talking with everybody. The only surprise for me was that some of the researchers seemed unaware of the Thingites.

Pierce, I mentioned that you and Amy were Thingites. I don't know if that persuasion has faded, or if you are still an adherent.

In my wild and crazy youth, I would sometimes go into the "No no no" thread and say "Thursday" as many times as I could smiley - evilgrin.

smiley - run

Post 26

cactuscafe

smiley - rofl

I was unaware of the Thingites, despite having been on the site for about fifteen years. smiley - rofl I only learned about them at the meet.

I think about the Thingites since learning about their existence. In fact my life is somehow changed.

Post 27

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Since the calendar got away from me for sending "myself" with my original carrier (thank goodness MMF had a printer!) I suppose it's to be expected that I forgot smiley - bubbly...

*brings in a huge basket of mufflewhumps*

Post 28

On this bright sunny Wimpy morning I remember the glorious revolution of The Thingites vividly, my dear paulh smiley - ok

smiley - pirate

Post 29

Read about The Thingites here (as researched and penned by Shea the Sarcastic):
https://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A2493452

and it's manifesto is here (edited by Clive the flying ostrich, Amateur Polymath and Chief Heretic) :
https://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A516647

I know that some of you may prefer other skins, but since Pliny has called in sick I myself am using alabastard. Please forgive me. Or not. Whichever comes first. Whatever smiley - whistle

smiley - pirate

Post 30

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Or, for clickable links in any skin... A2493452 about the Thingites and A516647 for the Manifesto.

Post 31

Gnomon - time to move on

For me, the Thingites were always just one of the many groups on the site which I had nothing to do with.

Nobody at the meet objected to having their photo taken.

I took some photos, but I realised later, I only took pictures of people I hadn't previously met, and I didn't even manage to get all of those. So I've no photos of CactusCafe or Ismarah, among others.

Post 32

Gnomon - time to move on

One of the reasons I had no time for the Thingites, I remember now, is that Thursday was always my favourite day of the week because it is Choir Day - I've been singing in the choir every Thursday (in season) since 1987.

Post 33

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

One hopes in tune as well

Post 34

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I was part of the Masters of the Multiverse A2334007
(unfortunately all the cool GuideML stuff on that page doesn't work anymore)

Post 35

I remember Thing (Thursday) and Wibble (Wednesday) and Wimpy (Tuesday). Monday was probably Sodit or something like that. Friday through Sunday are completely forgotten now.

Dragonfly started a Muse Home. There was also a Waterworks. Some researchers organized clubs for dogs and cats. Unfortunately, the two clubs fought like cats and dogs smiley - groan.

Post 36

Baron Grim

OOH! I remember!

Friday was P.O.E.T.S (Pushsmiley - star Off Early Tomorrow' Saturday)
Saturday was Doobry and Sunday Dontbry.

smiley - star(POETS can't be spelled out properly without upsetting the filther.)

Post 37

Bluebottle

The Waterworks map still works: A416918

<BB<

Post 38

I would dearly love to sip coffee at the Aroma Cafe while gazing at mount Sandcastle and deciding whether to swim in the pool or go to the beach. smiley - flyhi

I also remember the Bar that was on Pierce's pirate ship. It eventually got to the point where hardly anybody went there. smiley - sadface

Post 39

cactuscafe

This is all splendid news from the h2g2 multiverse.

The history of this site is like a curious and rare crystal that keeps growing new bits, different facets reflecting the light of many suns. And moons. And tunes. And runes.

Post 40

"I also remember the Bar that was on Pierce's pirate ship. It eventually got to the point where hardly anybody went there" [paulh]

I never expected it to last forever, of course, but we kept it going way longer than I ever expected and I am quite pleased with that. As Saint George told us: All things must pass smiley - zen

smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more