A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

2019-02-04 Announcement: Visitor Statistics

Post 21

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Would fewer still be okay when used with days?

Post 22

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Absolutely, if 'day' is seen as a unit.

'Man that is born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble.'
Job 14:1

Post 23

Icy North

smiley - smiley

Post 24

You can call me TC

I am sure Stephen Fry or someone equally erudite once said that the whole thing with less and fewer is totally overblown. Personally I still go for whichever sounds right.

However, so as not to derail the thread any further, which would rightfully earn me a rap on the knuckles, I shall refer you to this wiki page and ask anyone who wishes to comment further to start a new "ask" thread.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fewer_versus_less

Ripley-style:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fewer_versus_less

Post 25

Baron Grim

It was Stephen Fry, indeed.

Also, FYI, the Ripley Style URLs work on both platforms.

Post 26

Recumbentman

Nice! The quotation from Alfred the Cakeburner nails it; "less" with a countable noun ("words") is in effect a well-grounded contraction of "less of".

Post 27

smiley - lurk

Post 28

h2g2 Guide Editors

Quick Stats for mid-March

The number of unique users was down slightly (71,000 vs 74,000) and the number of pageviews was down slightly (366,000 vs 401,000). The Flying Fortress Entry continues to be popular, and the conversation about Gregory Porter's Hat trended on 3 March!

Post 29

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

smiley - lurk

Post 30

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

smiley - lurk

Post 31

Gnomon - time to move on

The stats for end of March / start of April aren't going to look good, since the site has been down for 6 days now.

No entries are available in Pliny, and since Pliny is the route by which all the thousands of readers access the entries, there will be zero hits.

I suggest you don't bother publishing anything new on the Front Page until this issue is resolved, as nobody is seeing the current Front Page entries.

I also suggest that an Announcement might be in order.

Post 32

Baron Grim

What a way to commemorate the site's 20th anniversary month.

Post 33

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

It certainly is a pity smiley - cry but let's take this conversation somewhere else

smiley - pirate

Post 34

Gnomon - time to move on

Here's an interesting thing. Normally in the Plain Skin, the Front Page link at the left brings you to a page saying that we're not updating the Front Page anymore in Ripley skins, and there's a link on that to the current Pliny front page.

But now the Front Page link on the Plain Skin brings you to a Front Page from 19 Feb 2004.

Post 35

it seems strange to me that Google can find links to H2G2, but when you click on them, the desired page is unavailable. How come Google can detect them, then?

Post 36

Gnomon - time to move on

Google builds up its index in advance. It could have found that page more than a week ago, when it was available.

Post 37

It has? I haven't noticed and everyone seems to have been posting and visiting as usual..smiley - erm

Post 38

Baron Grim

We're all using Ripley.

Post 39

Milla, h2g2 Operations

We have been troubleshooting all this time, but it's proved difficult.
Not giving up though...

smiley - towel

Post 40

I'm using Brunel.smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more