A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

2019-02-04 Announcement: Visitor Statistics

Post 1

h2g2 Guide Editors

Greetings Stats Fans!

Continuing from the previous thread F21546918?thread=8318733 this thread contains our visitor statistics according to Google Analytics. smiley - geek

Here is the January 2019 Report

The number of unique users was up to 74,700 (compared to 67,600 in December) and the number of pageviews was up by 25% (410,000 vs 325,000). Around 35% of traffic came from the USA and 30% was from the UK. Honourable mentions go to Canada, Australia, India, Germany, the Philippines, Ireland and France.

Traffic to The Post front page was up by 20% (2,100 views). The Daydream Journal showed up in the stats, too (almost 1,000 views)!

Card Games were even more popular this month than last month (4,500 views). 'Mi Amigo: The Fate of a Flying Fortress' was viewed 2,400 times compared to 20 times last month (traffic via national-preservation.com and Facebook). 'Burns Night' was viewed 1,900 times via the BBC.

Apart from the usual suspect Entries (Curry, Name Jokes, Weevils, Enzymes, Baking with a Silicone Mould, The Dangers of Mixing Bleach and Ammonia, and Your Heart) other popular Entries included: 'Medieval England: A Phrase Book', 'Fretless Bass Guitar', 'Line Dancing', 'Ida Wells Makes Noise' and 'The Shang Dynasty'.

How to Speak Gamer and How to Speak Brummie were each 20% more popular than last month with 740 views! A Grammar Entry A655599 in the Flea Market trended, too. Could this be a way of generating a new alien language? smiley - aliensmilesmiley - ufo

Post 2

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - coolsmiley - smiley
Hello "newbies" smiley - smiley

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

It sounds like a good distribution of users over the planet. 35% USA, 30% UK, with Australia and Canada and France and Germany and others. Not much Southern hemisphere or Asia (except for India).

Post 4

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

smiley - lurk

smiley - teasmiley - cakesmiley - choc

Post 5

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

smiley - lurk

Post 6

I take it that you have eaten the tea, cake, and chocolate that were in your earlier port. smiley - smiley

Post 7

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - shhh"shadow" smiley - lurk can't say

Post 8

smiley - huh

Post 9

https://www.h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/brunel/A811810

Actually I was doing some clean up of my subscriptions and clicked on the wrong one..so I had to lurk again to renew the subscription.

smiley - teasmiley - cakesmiley - choc

Post 10

smiley - ok

Post 11

smiley - lurk

smiley - teasmiley - cakesmiley - chocsmiley - bubblysmiley - ale

Post 12

h2g2 Guide Editors

Greetings Stats Fans! Here's the February Report

The number of unique users was the same as in the previous 28 days (67,700) and the number of pageviews was the same (361,000). Around 35% of traffic came from the USA and 30% was from the UK. Honourable mentions go to Australia, Canada, India, Germany, the Philippines, Ireland, South Africa and France.

Traffic to The Post front page was up 10% on the previous 28 days (2,100 views). People especially enjoy reading it on a Sunday as soon as it is published!

The most popular Entries included: 'Mi Amigo: The Fate of a Flying Fortress', Isaac Newton, 'Green Eggs and Ham' (in honour of World Book Day). 'The Language of Flowers', 'Dido and Aeneas by Henry Purcell', 'The V Bomber Ejector Seat' and 'The History Behind the Quadratic Formula' also trended. An Askh2g2 thread about the origin of the phrase "My Work Here is Done" captured people's interest as well!

Post 13

You can call me TC

So that is an increase in visits, as Feb has less days than Jan.

Post 14

You can call me TC

smiley - doh on average, I mean, of course!

Post 15

Icy North

Any increase for this one?

The Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pie - A64619247

I tweeted it last month and got a few hundred views. The product has become the symbol of no-deal Brexit stockpiling in the UK, and regularly features in the works of Twitter artist Coldwar Steve:

http://goo.gl/images/dHRfmj

Post 16

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Re post 13 & 14: "Feb has less days than Jan ... on average" [TC]

This is my experience also smiley - winkeye

smiley - pirate

Post 17

Shouldn't that be "fewer days?" smiley - geek

February is a good month for me, in that I get a monthly pension check, which has to be stretched across 28 days instead of 30 or 31. smiley - smiley

Post 18

Baron Grim

Days are one of those things that sound like it should use fewer, but properly can use less.

Fewer is used for integral units, like people, cats, TV episodes, and items in the supermarket line.
Less is for amounts not necessarily expressed in integral units, like velocity, amount of inebriation, volume, and volume. (litres v. dBs)

Days is a unit of time and can easily be expressed in fractions so less days is correct, if awkward sounding.

Of course, as someone will surely point out if I don't do so preemptively, our language evolves and the fewer/less divide is blurring and only pedants really care anymore.

Post 19

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

At any rate we have less time in February than January to spend our vast pensions in.

And as the Baron may know from another media my state pension just went up. Which is why I said: "Dammit! Now I have to buy a bigger mattress!" smiley - sadface

smiley - pirate

Post 20

h2g2 Guide Editors

Yes, the Fray Bentos Entry gets a few views each month, but we can see from the stats that you tweeted it on 22 February as it was viewed 40 times smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more