A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

2018-05-20 Announcement: Towel Day etc

Post 1

h2g2 Guide Editors

This Friday, 25 May, is Towel Day A87870531 in honour of Douglas Adams A3790659 and there is a lot going on around teh interwebz.

Read the h2g2 Post <./>thepost</.> A87905749

Tell us here what you and your towel get up to, or send us pictures of your towel to postteamhg at gmail dot com

Join us on Facebook at the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Earth Edition http://www.facebook.com/The-Hitchhikers-Guide-to-the-Galaxy-Earth-Edition-341327959239272/
Join in on Facebook at the official Towel Day Page http://www.facebook.com/Douglas42towels/

h2g2_Guide is on Twitter http://twitter.com/h2g2_Guide
The official Towel Day page is on Twitter http://twitter.com/towelday

We know 25 May isn't just about towels, though - will you Wear the Lilac in honour of Sir Terry Pratchett too? A4643895 Pictures will be welcome in The Post or on Social Media!

Have a great day, and don't forget your towel! smiley - towel

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I really need to find a lilac smiley - towel...unfortunately, the lilacs in town bloomed *last* week, no sense of timing at all...

Ah, but I could reread that book, it was brilliant. smiley - magic...

A couple of years ago, we tried to educate everybody in town about Towel Day. They almost had us committed. smiley - winkeye

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Your town is probably dominated by stealth Vogons. smiley - smiley

Post 4

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Towel Day smiley - erm having to shower once a year is just TOO muchsmiley - sadface

Post 5

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Being medically retired after 40-some years of working for a living - I now find that my days are even more full. How did I ever find time to include all the community service stuff we do, and work 50-plus hour weeks?

So sorry to say, I may well forget smiley - towel-day . . .

Post 6

There's no shortage of towels in my house. If you count bathmats, I have them in dozens of different colors.

Post 7

h2g2 Guide Editors

The Front Page has been updated today with some hoopy towel-related Entries smiley - towel

Post 8

Bluebottle

I always get so excited on Towel Day Eve - I stay up 'til after midnight and then go to bed putting my towel beneath my pillow.smiley - biggrin

<BB<

Post 9

Baron Grim

Towel day is a lonely celebration on the Gulf Coast of Texas.

Well, in the sense that I celebrate alone. I do get plenty of people walking up to me to ask, "What, the hell, is that there towel fer?"

Post 10

I met my new chiropractor today. He did some really weird things that made me laugh. I told him, 'I want to go to Mars. They say the lower gravity is good for your spine.'

He was puzzled. 'I've been there, and I didn't notice any difference in the gravity.'

I looked at him as evenly as I could, once he stopped trying to push my head through my breastplate. 'You thought I meant Mars, Pennsylvania, didn't you?' He nodded.

When it was all over, he said I was pretty game, what with all the pushing and shoving and 'press down on your jaw, and stick your leg out like that...'

'You can't out-weird an editor of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Earth Edition,' I said. 'Don't even try.'

When I left, he was looking for a big towel for tomorrow, and threatening to wear lilac socks...his wife was looking worried...Towel Day is being introduced to Erie, Pennsylvania as we speak.

Chiropractor=hoopy frood! smiley - winkeye

smiley - dragon

Post 11

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Towel day was announced on Dutch national radio this morning. (OK it was 6:40 am, and it was just mentioned without further explanation, but it's a start)

Post 12

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Happy towel day everyone smiley - towel

Post 13

Bluebottle

When I saw the 'HHGG Radio Show Live!' they recorded every performance and, as part of the ticket, you were able to later legitimately purchase a recording of the show you saw smiley - 2centssmiley - musicalnote. So that's what I'm listening to now – 'HHGG Live! Southampton 15th July' as they so snappily titled it. It opens with a Douglas Adams interview followed by the Doctor smiley - tardis Who theme.
It's comforting to think that part of the audience laughter is Peregrin and I.

Just a shame the sound quality's lousy… smiley - winkeye

<BB<

Post 14

"You can't out-weird an editor of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Earth Edition" [Dmitri]

That sounds like a challenge for some *very* weird people. Maybe even a mention in the Guinness book of records. smiley - bigeyes

Post 15

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

My morning felt like I had a role in the first pages of The Guide More here if you are interested: http://h2g2.com/user_journal/U109937/conversation/view/F54793/T8319771

Post 16

SashaQ - happysad

Great buzz around the world on Social Media, and impressive that Towel Day made the news on Dutch Radio, too!

Happy Towel Day hoopy froods! smiley - towel

Post 17

Was there any coverage on antisocial media? smiley - winkeye

Post 18

No, I've tried to get them interested, but they don't reply to my emails. smiley - laugh

Post 19

Apathetic media wouldn't be worth the bother of alerting.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more