A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

2018-05-13: Yet Another Book (from Those Amazing h2g2 Researchers)!

Post 101

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - winkeye"she" had to travel to a city for an award smiley - winkeyesmiley - ermsmiley - erm to "honour Lulu"

smiley - groan

Sorry for "kidnapping the thread"

Wishing you a very happy Christmas and a most excellent new year smiley - hug Cactuscafesmiley - smiley(long time no see, as such sweetheart)

Hands back to original threadsmiley - smileysmiley - smiley

Post 102

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

There's a third book coming? smiley - bigeyes

I gave the most recent one to my sister, and pointed to the two stories that I had written. She, in turn, gave me a copy of the novel that she just had published.

I should probably have been smarter about what I wrote here, so as to maximize my chances of having my stuff appear in the books.

But I didn't anticipate what has happened, and now we're approaching three volumes. If the next one features any guide articles, I wonder if any of my recipes will make the cut?

If not, I probably won't have time to launch a series of things more likely to be interesitng to the current book market.

Post 103

cactuscafe

Hey Prof. smiley - kisssmiley - kisssmiley - kiss

Post 104

cactuscafe

You sound like a creative family, paulh! Were you and your sister creative as kids, from the get-go?

I love to create, but get really shy about having my work in print, I think I'm a bit odd that way, although I appreciate the h2g2 books!

I think if I was a published author I'd be perfectionist and want to break into bookshops in the middle of the night, and change all my work with a biro. smiley - biro

Which shows how old I am, because these days writers don't break into bookshops with biros. Did they ever? No! Probably not. smiley - rofl

Post 105

I thought I was going to have a book published in 1997, but the publisher went bankrupt before it could publish my book.

The Internet began changing the rules anyway. There are people who channel their creative energies into their websites.

Post 106

bobstafford

Perhaps H2G2 will get into publishing one day there must be several books ready and waiting among us!

Post 107

That's the truth! smiley - smiley

Post 108

minorvogonpoet

I know that Mslexia (although only women writers can submit to Mslexia you don't have to be a woman to read it!) has published a guide to independent publishers and literary magazines: https://mslexia.co.uk/products/indie-press-guide/indie-press-guide/

This is UK-based.

Post 109

Books printed on paper continue to be produced. This is as it should be. The automobile car did not totally doom horses, nor did the electric light bulb spell the end of candles. We have so many push-button conveniences, but there are still people who cultivate the forgotten practices that will come in handy when Mad Max arrives. smiley - evilgrin

Post 110

cactuscafe

Mslexia! I remember that name from the 80s! Still going strong eh? That's pretty good.

I love a paper book. You can't bend and dogear a screen page in the same way. smiley - roflsmiley - book

Post 111

Even better, the reflected light from a paper image doe snot mess with your synapses the way some technological gadgets' light does. This can be important if you have trouble getting to sleep at night. Reading paper book at night probably won't aggravate your insomnia.

Post 112

cactuscafe

Yes! Interesting. I can't read from a laptop or phone screen last thing before sleep.

Is TV light different? I can fall asleep in front of my TV. It doesn't make me all headachy and brain snappy.

Of course one doesn't read books on a TV screen, so this isn't really relevant, but I wonder about different types of screen light

Post 113

I'm glad that no one has yet called me on the "doe snot" typo.smiley - blush

(Sends Bambi a tissue)

Post 114

cactuscafe

I did notice the doe snot, but I never saw it as doe snot. smiley - rofl

Now you've sent Bambi a tissue, I see as you see.

Post 115

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

The "beeb" held "us" back as such "others" have allowed us to move forward smiley - smileyWE are hootoo (H2G2) we are here to staysmiley - magic

Who needs facebook/twitter and all the rest - not us! We are unique smiley - smiley

AND MODEST! smiley - winkeye

Post 116

Well, I am modest, and you are realistic. Nothing wrong with that. smiley - smiley

Post 117

Gnomon - time to move on

Did I dream that the new book is a collection of "Colours of Wildlife" by Willem?

Post 118

Gnomon - time to move on

No, I didn't dream it.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/willem-van-der-merwe/colours-of-wildlife/hardcover/product-23940512.html

Post 119

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Online book retailers that aren't Amazon? What madness is this?!

Post 120

I was in a Barnes and Noble store yesterday. They also sell books online. Probably it's just books, though. Amazon sells a lot of other stuff, too. I just ordered blackcurrant tea bags from them.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more