A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

2018-05-13: Yet Another Book (from Those Amazing h2g2 Researchers)!

Post 61

SashaQ - happysad

Mine arrived today as well smiley - magic

The pictures have turned out very well indeed, and reading the foreword still gives me a thrill smiley - magic What a superb tome smiley - biggrin

Post 62

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Saturday 27th May 8.08am, in approx' 1 hour it's of't mam'ssmiley - smileyand sister should be bringing MY copy theresmiley - smileyat around 11am

need to borrow H G Wells time machine for a couple of hourssmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Post 63

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

WOW! What a great read and I've only "read" the front of the booksmiley - biggrin

Post 64

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'll order some copies tomorrow

Post 65

Or not.

Amazon says that it's out of print.

Post 66

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

You may have an old link. Try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Twice-42-Wisdom-Mostly-Harmless-Planet/dp/1719204810/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1527454000&sr=1-1&keywords=twice-42

Post 67

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

Did you try the new link http://www.amazon.com/dp/1719204810/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1526578404&sr=1-2

smiley - biggrin
F smiley - dolphin S

Post 68

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

smiley - simpost

Post 69

smiley - laugh We're on this, aren't we?

Post 70

I eventually found a link that had copies, so I ordered a couple. smiley - ok

Post 71

Good news! The Amazon page now has the 'Look Inside' feature! You can see the table of contents and preview stories! smiley - biggrin

Post 72

SashaQ - happysad

Excellent! smiley - biggrin

Post 73

My copies came today.

I'm glad that Dmitri found my zucchini story interesting. It was a true story, by the way. There really was a 42nd zucchini, and I let it grow huge. I had no clue what to do with it.

Post 74

Post 73 had 42 words, by the way. smiley - whistle

Post 75

minorvogonpoet

I've read it smiley - biggrin. It really is an amazing collection, from straight-forward personal accounts to the wildest shores of imaginative fiction, from conversations with cleverbots to poems. smiley - biggrin

But at least some of the pieces make me feel I'm really not clever enough for h2g2!smiley - sadface

Post 76

Recumbentman

Mmm, must get in an order then.

Post 77

" at least some of the pieces make me feel I'm really not clever enough for h2g2" [Minorvogonpoet]

smiley - hugsmiley - cheerup

The site is hugely competitive, MVP. I've written hundreds of 42-word stories; two of them made the cut. I've also written at least 500 short-short stories (5 lines or less); none of them are in the book. Also dozens of sonnets, hundreds of limericks, thousands of puns, etc. Sheer volume doesn't get you published. If the genre that you excel in doesn't show up on the radar of the compilers, you'll be overlooked. How did they manage to winnow this flood of material down to 500 pages or so? Probably with a lot of coffee, and aspirin for the headaches that surely resulted. Then there must have been deadlines -- self-imposed, perhaps, but there nonetheless.

You are clever, MVP. Looking ahead, what genre would be your strongest possibility? Focus on that genre, and hope for the best -- er, weirdest. This is a weird site. Weirdness is what sells. smiley - winkeye

Post 78

minorvogonpoet

Thanks paulh smiley - smiley. There are two of my short stories in and one poem. smiley - smiley

I don't really get some of the smiley - weird though.

Post 79

We're all clever, in our own unique ways. smiley - smiley

Post 80

h2g2 Guide Editors

Thanks for the review, mvp - great that you enjoyed the variety of the collection, and even though you didn't get all the weird smiley - weird it just means that there's at least something for everyone in the book, no matter what their brand of weird smiley - weird!

That's the joy of h2g2, that it isn't about being 'clever enough', it is about 'share and enjoy!' smiley - magic

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more