A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

2017-11-15 Announcement: Visitor statistics

Post 81

Milla, h2g2 Operations

A kind reminder to keep this thread for statistics.
smiley - towel

Post 82

Baron Grim

I felt the discussion was still on topic, but fine.

smiley - elvis

Post 83

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Greetings, statistics lovers! Your h2g2 stats team is back with the latest news on who's reading what brilliant h2g2 stuff on the interwebs.

1-31 December:

Compared to this time last year, the number of unique users was lower (100,000 in December 2016) but the number of page views was higher (355,000 vs 245,000).

Who Referred People to Us?

A webcomic referred readers to the Pirate Logic Puzzle, while Amy P's NaJo got a lot of views from her Backyard Chickens messageboard. (Good deal, Amy!) 42 people ended up on h2g2 from Youtube. Facebook posts are read, and Twitter traffic is up to 22,000 views a month. Google+ traffic is up 1000%, to a whole 24 clicks.

Our Evil Influence on the Web

People have been searching h2g2 for information on bananas, drugs, 42, Earth, and Apollo. We are unrepentant.

As usual, they want to know how to make curry, bake a cake, deal with weevils, and be the perfect mistress. This creates pictures in our minds that we refuse to share.

In December, of course, they also wanted to know Christmas Stuff, and about fretless bass guitars and how to cross one eye. Go figure.

Post reading is up 12%. See? They Do look at your stunning pictures and read your witty jokes!

To sum up: it was a pretty good month for h2g2, and the universe is still weird. Keep writing those strange Guide Entries and Post articles! People are reading!

Dmitri Gheorgheni, for the Core Team
smiley - dragon

Post 84

bobstafford

smiley - cheers
That is excellent sounds as if the site has a good future smiley - magic

Post 85

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

We're having an enjoyable present as well. smiley - smiley

Post 86

Recumbentman

Well done Dmitri smiley - ok

Post 87

SashaQ - happysad

An enjoyable present indeed smiley - ok "The universe is still weird" and h2g2 continues to celebrate that smiley - magic

Thanks for writing up the stats report into an entertaining and informative piece, DG smiley - biggrin *goes to practise crossing my eyes* smiley - online2long

Post 88

If you have any insights while doing it, Sasha, update the Entry. smiley - winkeye

Post 89

bobstafford

That is a good point!
Out of date entries might be a problem, can someone come up with an updating procedure, maybe a volunteer group, I would join in if others helped.

Post 90

Talk to Bluebottle, bob. smiley - smileysmiley - ok

Post 91

Bluebottle

Have a read of: A87727936
Essentially if the entry only needs a small change, start a conversation on the <./>Feedback-Editorial</.> page.
If the entry needs a complete re-write, create a new entry incorporating some of the old but adding the new, updated information too. I believe Dmitri has an update in PeerReview as we speak.

But to keep this thread on topic please start a conversation here: A87727936smiley - smiley

<BB<

Post 92

Thanks for that timely information, maestro! smiley - biggrin

Post 93

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Any stats for January? Or are we going to get quarterly announcements?

Post 94

h2g2 Guide Editors

The Analytics for January will be downloadable tomorrow, so we'll post them as soon as possible after that smiley - smiley

Post 95

I look forward to meeting Anna Lytics

Post 96

h2g2 Guide Editors

Hello Stats Fans!

Here's 1-31 January:

The number of unique users went up to 90,000 compared to 80,000 in December. The number of page views went up to 405,000.

Popular Entries are the usual suspects: people still want to know about curry, name jokes, the heart, how to bake a cake, and how to deal with weevils (some of these things may or may not be related!).

For January, Burns Night was a popular topic. Also trending were Traffic Lights, Farm Animals and Centaurs.

Referral of the month comes from nfl.com - while pondering how to deal with shenanigans at American Football games they learned about polytetrafluoroethene thanks to the Edited Guide smiley - biggrin

Post 97

I recall that I was one of the researchers who collaborated on a curry guide entry. I'm glad to be appreciated. smiley - blush

I also hope that my other recipes are also being enjoyed. I aim to spread happiness.

Post 98

Recumbentman

Not so many hits on Recumbent Bikes... hah, the fools.

Post 99

I doubt very many people would be riding any kind of bikes in the dead of winter. They could still read about them, but that seems unlikely as well.

Post 100

Gnomon - time to move on

The dead of winter means different things in different places. Here in Ireland, it is dark but rarely particularly cold.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more