A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Monday 13th January - Reactivating the Testers Team

Post 1

h2g2 Operations

Now that the new version of Pliny is out, and we’ve tweaked through the last few bits to make sure that all that was working is still working, we’re changing the way that we do things a bit.

Rather than hoping people will stumble across bugs on h2g2, we’ve been putting together a team of volunteers who will go through each expected action on our new test system and make sure it works as it’s expected to.

Our new Testers Team will be working hard behind the scenes to make sure that what we bring to you is the best that we can, trying out new features as we build them and helping the rest of the volunteers come up with ideas to make h2g2 the site that we all want it to be!

Because we now have a dedicated team of bug hunters, we no longer need researchers to let us know of any bugs that they may find unless they believe that it is a serious security issue. If you do find one of those, please email us at [email protected], otherwise relax in the knowledge that we’re almost certainly on the case!

We’d like to take this opportunity though to thank everyone who has reported bugs, and that’s not just us saying it, we really are grateful. Without the help that you’ve all done over the last couple of years, the site wouldn’t be as stable as it is to be enjoyed by the hundreds of thousands of people who visit it each week.

We’ll be going through the bug report threads to build up our new trouble ticket system, closing the threads that have been resolved, and letting you know where we’ve got to.

Pastey

Post 2

Whisky

>>>Because we now have a dedicated team of bug hunters, we no longer need researchers to let us know of any bugs that they may find unless they believe that it is a serious security issue. <<<

Sorry Pasty but that's just plain silly!

Unless you can guarantee that no bugs are going to get through to the working server and that your testers are going to have the time and resources to fully test every bit of code and every possible combination of key touches then sooner or later normal users are going to stumble across bugs.

The message you're sending to those users by saying you don't want further bug reports is "we don't care about your problems, we know best and stuff you!"

Even if you only run it informally, you need system for ordinary users to report bugs.

Post 3

Milla, h2g2 Operations

We have a list of several hundred issues that we plan to work through already.
At the moment, almost all issues we receive are already known, and usually they are on the cosmetic end of seriousness. Which there are also plans for dealing with.

Any serious bugs are welcome at [email protected] but for the moment we'd like to focus on what we already have to work with.

Thanks
smiley - towel
(bug-logger extraordinaire smiley - winkeye)

Post 4

Pastey

Sorry if it comes across that way Whisky, it's not what we mean.

If you, or anyone, stumbles across a bug then we do still want to know about it, but we no longer need researchers to actively go looking for them. And as such we no longer need the specific feedback pages. We're going to be changing these soon too to give better instructions on how to report things once we've got our new system up and running.

Over the last two years we've had hundreds of bugs, niggles, tweaks and issues with design reported, and over the last few months leading up to the launch of this new system there has been no new issues raised. What has been raised is all stuff that we know about and is logged, but has got lost in amongst all the other stuff.

So, we're closing down those pages, cleaning them up, and introducing a new system. We've got an off-site trouble ticket system that we're using where any new issues will be logged with a level of importance, and any of the coding team (yes, we're getting more than just me) will be able to pick them up and deal with them.

An open forum on a public facing site is not the best place to do this, if anything it raises the likely hood of people trying to hack the site simply because we're showing them where the bugs are.

Post 5

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - smileymorningsmiley - smiley

smiley - ta

smiley - smiley

Post 6

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Good Morning smiley - smiley

We care a lot about h2g2 and how it works. The Core Team and other volunteers put in so many hours per day you'd be gobsmacked if you only knew! - But we now need to look at an efficient way of catching and fixing bugs. Recently, the bugs reported have been duplicates of earlier reports, and this takes time to check the logs and therefore takes time away from actual fixing. I hope this makes sense! smiley - biggrin

However, I should just like to reassure anyone that if they have a personal difficulty in using the site, we have a dedicated service in our hardworking Gurus. If you have an unresolved problem, and cannot access something then please contact them. They are here to help you and also work 'round the clock' to bring you the best possible user experience.

(and now I need to concentrate on updating the Front Page - we've got some really interesting new Entries on their way to you as soon as I can line them all up)

smiley - island

Post 7

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

They all want a medalsmiley - smiley

Post 8

Icy North

I think what Pastey's saying is that bug-hunting on h2g2 is now like shooting fish in a barrel smiley - winkeye

Post 9

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Oh Icy... must you make it look that the system is poor? smiley - erm Sure, there are issues, but it's not that bad.
smiley - towel

Post 10

Icy North

Oh, and can I report a bug that the winkeye smiley doesn't appear to be showing?

Post 11

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Nope. That's a personal issue - I am very blind to irony and sarcasm at the moment. Sorry about that.
smiley - towel

Post 12

Icy North

Ah, that's ok then.

Oh, I don't use the winkeye smiley for sarcasm, just for humour.

Sarcasm works far better without smileys.

Not that this is sarcasm, just because it doesn't have a smiley - it's actually straight.

Post 13

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Damnit. I've been using the smiley - winkeye smiley wrong, all these years smiley - dohsmiley - alienfrown
Hmmm... has anyone ever actually shot fish, in a barrel? smiley - alienfrownsmiley - fish

Post 14

Pastey

Like shooting bablefish in a barrel of pan galactic gargle blasters...

Or just shooting the gargle blasters smiley - drunk

Post 15

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

As a quick foot note

I've allways had personal difficultys in using this site, it's what I like about it smiley - biggrin

smiley - bubbly

Post 16

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

They're not difficulties, just 'features'.

Post 17

Whisky

Ok Pastey, your second post (Post 4) actually makes sense, no problems with that...

But for gawds sake, get someone to proofread your announcements...

Announcing you're changing the site's bug reporting system is NOT the same as making a blanket generalisation of the fact you do not want people to bother reporting bugs.

Look at your first post again and put yourself in the place of a new user who has just joined the site and this is the first announcement they've read... I'd hope you'll be pretty horrified!

Post 18

Pastey

We are actually looking for more volunteers to help us with things like this Whisky smiley - winkeye

Post 19

Icy North

What, the announcements?

Post 20

Pastey

Announcements, sub-editing, communications, promotions, and any and all php or css/html developers are always welcome smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more