A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Monday 20 August, 2012: h2g2 Announcements - Field Researchers Ltd Incorporation Edition

Post 1

h2g2 Communications

A year and a half ago, researchers banded together under the h2g2 Community Consortium banner to ensure the continued survival of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Earth Edition). Z led a group of dedicated volunteers who, working with Robbie Stamp and Brian and Aly Larholm, developed a plan to give Guide contributors a voice and a role in h2g2's future.

The plan ultimately called for the establishment of a company to hold a significant portion of shares in Not Panicking Limited on behalf of the h2g2 Community.

We now have great pleasure in announcing that Field Researchers Limited (FRL) has been incorporated. The purpose of Field Researchers Ltd is to:

smiley - star Purchase 31.93% of the shares in Not Panicking Ltd, as per the agreement with Robbie Stamp and Brian and Alyson Larholm,

smiley - star Act as a responsible shareholder on behalf of the entire h2g2 community,

smiley - star Responsibly exercise the right to put a voting Board Member and a non-voting Board Attendee on the Board of NPL and a voting Trustee on the Board of Trustees of the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Foundation, and

smiley - star Keep the community informed about decisions being made on their behalf by the directors of FRL.

We’ll have quite a lot of FRL news to bring to you over the next several days and weeks. Our first news item regards Z stepping down as Chair of the Volunteers. We thank Z for his service as Chair of the Volunteers and his efforts to bring Field Researchers Ltd this far.

"It's been over 18 months since we first started the consortium to save h2g2, and I can't believe how far we've come. It's been an amazing journey, but sadly it's time for me to move on. As some of you know, I'm working on a PhD at the moment, and as that's getting more time-consuming, I am finding that I just don't have the time to devote to coordinating h2g2.

"But I'm lucky to be handing over to Pastey, because he is just the right person to take h2g2 forward, into its next phase. Thank you to everyone who has supported us so far." - Z

Not Panicking Ltd CEO Robbie Stamp on the passing of the gavel from Z to Pastey:

"It has taken a while. Nothing is ever easy. But on behalf of the Board of NPL I am thrilled that Field Researchers Ltd ( great name!) is now incorporated. When we all set out on the job of taking the site back into our hands, it was always a key part of the approach to find a way of placing a significant part of the new Company "in trust" for the Community, and to provide a main Board seat for a representative of those shares as a way of respecting the fundamental part that the Community plays in the site. The dedicated volunteers and the continued support and patience of the Community have got us to this point.

"I want to take this moment in particular however, to thank Z, who is stepping down as "chief herder of cats". Z has been a prime mover in all that we have achieved so far. It was he who sought me out in person, and we sat in my local pub garden and talked and I felt strongly that Z was somebody I would enjoy working with. Indeed with his approach and intelligence he is somebody who would have fitted right into the fabulous team we had when Douglas and others first launched the site, and for me that remains high praise indeed. So, thank you Z. I can say categorically, none of us would be here today without your hard work, care and genuine love for the site. It has been a privilege to work with you.

"And welcome to Pastey, who I have also been very lucky to come to know these past months. Now for the next phase!" - Robbie Stamp

In addition to heading up the Tech Team, Pastey will act as Chair of the Volunteers. Pastey has also volunteered to serve as one of the directors of Field Researchers Ltd. He, Lanzababy, Milla, Solnushka, and Happy Nerd will be holding these offices as volunteers until elections can be held.

"When we heard about the disposal of h2g2 it may have been nostalgia that made Z think "No, it can't close". I'm pretty certain it was nostalgia that made a lot of us rally to his call. And now as we reach this quite monumental milestone we have a new era of nostalgia to look back on. We've managed to achieve something that a lot of people thought was mpossible, a community site part owned and run by the community themselves. Z needs to be congratulated on drawing us to the cause so this could happen.

"And now we move forward, leaving nostalgia behind. I'm genuinely honoured to be taking over the reigns from Z, and guiding the Guide for the next leg of its journey, out of the past and into the future. We were the first, and we pioneered a lot of what now seems common place on the Internet. There's a lot we can do together, and I think we can get back to innovating again.” - Pastey

Please keep an eye on the h2g2 Announcements for more news about Field Researchers Ltd, including elections, voting, and crucially of course membership of FRL. We appreciate your patience as we get the next stage of plans in place.

Monday 20 August, 2012: h2g2 Announcements - Field Researchers Ltd Incorporation Edition

Post 2

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Thanks for all your hard work, Z, we would never have come this far without you smiley - smiley

Pastey, now the other bit of hard work follows. I know you are more than capable. smiley - biggrin

Post 3

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

here here

Two smiley - alesmiley - ale, one for Z and one for Pastey

Post 4

Witty Moniker

Thank you for all of your hard work, Z. We will miss you being at the helm. smiley - brave

All the best to you, Pastey. So much more to do! smiley - bubbly

Post 5

*drinks both*

Thanks, nbb

*returns smiley - emptysmiley - empty*

Post 6

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

*brings in a huge basket of mufflewhumps*

Post 7

Z

smiley - blush

Thank you everyone. It's been an amazing ride, and I'm not going anyway. You don't get rid of me that easily, in fact you'll probably see more of me writing articles and hanging out on the forums than you did before.

I was very sad when I finally realized that I was no longer the right person to co-ordinate things on h2g2. My lack of time was at risk of holding things back, instead of moving things forward.

smiley - popcorn

Was it nostalgia that made me say 'hey lets do something here, lets save h2g2?' I don't know. It could have been or it could have been the fact that the idea of a life without h2g2 was just far too scary, and doing something stopped me having to think about that awful reality!

I wonder if I am egotistical enough to put a quote from this on my personal space?

Post 8

Z

*Looks at empty glass in confusion*

*A mufflewump transforms into a smiley - ale which Z then drinks*

Post 9

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - applauses everybody.

Great job, guys! smiley - biggrin And best wishes, as always, for the future.

smiley - hugs all round, and don't let those glasses be smiley - empty.

Post 10

Researcher 14993127

Well done and a big thank you to Z (and Mrs.Z) for all their efforts.smiley - bubbly
Congrats to Pastey on your new additional role. smiley - bubbly
Here's to the future of hootoo, long may she reign. smiley - coolsmiley - ok

smiley - cat

Post 11

aka Bel - A87832164

Kudos to all who made this possible (and still do). smiley - applause

Post 12

Mrs Zen

*sneaks into h2g2*

Does this mean I get my husband back?

*sneaks out again*

Post 13

Z

*sneaks into Peer Review*

Reads some articles, considers writing some more...

Unlikely..

Post 14

Mrs Zen

Oh well. Another time perhaps.

Post 15

Rosemary {[(2+2+2)^2]+4+2=42}

Congrats to Pastey, and thanks to Z on bringing us thus far

Z, I think that the fact that you have realised that your hootoo/not hootoo life balance needs reassessing is a good thing-sometimes People in Charge can hang on past the point where it's not not good for them or the organisation.

I look forward to the almighty conga line when you become a Doctor squared. smiley - diva

Post 16

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Wow, and congratulations to all.

TRiG.smiley - bubbly

Post 17

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

smiley - smiley can some one tell me what's going on and do I get a new badge smiley - biggrin

Post 18

Pastey

Keep an eye on the announcements smiley - winkeye

Hi All, Z's done an amazing job getting us all here, something I know I couldn't do.

Thank you Z, and I'm glad you're not thinking you can disappear smiley - winkeye

Post 19

Baron Grim

smiley - cheerssmiley - cheers

Post 20

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Something occurred to me... In the future, if Pastey feels the need to step down, are we going to look for another Steve?smiley - silly

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more