A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Saturday 16 June, 2012: h2g2 Announcements - Tech News

Post 1

h2g2 Communications

Dear Researchers,

You didn't panic while the Tech Team moved h2g2 to its new home, nor as Ripley began to buckle under the strain of working well beyond its design parameters, nor when an early version of Pliny came online ahead of schedule to assist Ripley. Please don't panic when I tell you that Ripley's condition continues to deteriorate. smiley - dontpanic

The Tech Team is working hard to build the full version of Pliny. In the meantime, Not Panicking Ltd has taken steps to improve h2g2's responsiveness through the use of a Content Delivery Network. smiley - geek

The Content Delivery Network (CDN) is a large distributed system of servers located around the globe. When you browse the Guide to Life, the Universe and Everything, the CDN delivers h2g2 content via the servers operating nearer to you. The CDN helps h2g2 improve response time and handle sudden increases in demand - even when Ripley is struggling.

During normal operations you won't even be aware h2g2 is using a CDN. On rare occasions, you may see an error message from the CDN. Please don't panic. Simply read the message and follow the instructions.

And thank you for not panicking.

smiley - smiley
HN
Comms Team

Post 2

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

Theres always an excuse smiley - winkeyesmiley - laugh

Post 3

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Good post, aptly phrased, thanks for the explanation (which could only ever make sense in Hootoo-world smiley - laugh

Post 4

Icy North

Don't be so negative, HN. This is good news smiley - smiley Why would anyone think of panicking?

smiley - cheers Icy

Post 5

Vip

I have no idea what a CDN is, but it sounds pretty neat. Plus it's propping up Ripley. smiley - love

smiley - fairy

Post 6

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - whistleI've never panicked smiley - smileyas I've never moved from where I amsmiley - laughsmiley - laughand still are - here!smiley - biggrin

Post 7

hygienicdispenser

ARRRRGGGHHH. Omigod omigod omigod. Help! We're all going to die.smiley - runsmiley - nursmiley - runsmiley - nursmiley - runsmiley - nursmiley - runsmiley - nur

Panic? Moi?

Post 8

Baron Grim

Personally, I welcome our new Canadian Denial Network overlords. smiley - evilgrin

Post 9

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I don't know.... all this techno-lingo.... I think I can translate... smiley - whistlesmiley - evilgrin

"....In the meantime, Not Panicking Ltd has taken steps to improve h2g2's responsiveness through the use of a Content Delivery Network.

The Content Delivery Network (CDN) is a large distributed system of servers located around the globe....."

-=

"In the meantime, Not Panicking Ltd has taken steps to improve h2g2's ham[p]ster responsiveness through the use of a Content Delivery Network (AKA advanced food delivery system TM).

The Content Delivery Network (Advanced foo delivery system)) is a large distributed system of food containers, located around the globe...." smiley - evilgrinsmiley - run

Post 10

clzoomer- a bit woobly

I was wondering what all those CDN bumper stickers were about.....

smiley - erm

Post 11

Mu Beta

Constantly Dashing Nampster?

B

Post 12

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Cashew Delivering Nuns?

smiley - pirate

Post 13

Cheerful Dragon

I thought a Content Delivering Network was for delivering things that made the recipients happy. smiley - ermsmiley - winkeye

Post 14

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Content is in the eye of the beholder? smiley - silly

smiley - towel

Post 15

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Our content ALWAYS makes people happy. smiley - winkeye

Post 16

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I am content if I get anything delivered, over my network... sometimes smiley - grrsmiley - doh But, then again, some people have more content to deliver than others... smiley - whistlesmiley - run

Post 17

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

It would appear that my mailbox delivered way more content than I and anybody else appreciated over the weekend smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

Post 18

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

What's being offloaded to the CDN? And is hootoo ever going to make use of cookie-free domains?

Actually, the technical news I'd be interested in are the stats of which are the most frequently used smileys. I don't know why I care. I just do. I have a burning desire to know.

TRiG.smiley - geek

Post 19

Pastey

I don't think we keep a track of what're the most used smilies, but it might be possible to find out...

Post 20

Vip

Ooooh ooh ooooooooooh! smiley - boing

smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more