A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Wednesday 16 November, 2011: Welcome, h2g2 Readers!

Post 141

Pastey

I'll send a hampster over. Thanks mini smiley - smiley

smiley - rose

Post 142

Mrs Zen

smiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - applausesmiley - applause

SEE! I said it was a good idea. Well done that Baron!

Post 143

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

F22114980?thread=8285435&post=110480564#p110480564

i think it will be a smiley - mammoth task to clean all these smiley - elf and smiley - hamsters out from the site, they are getting everywhere, and multiplying!

minismiley - mouse

Post 144

Malabarista - now with added pony

Hee hee - excellent photo!

Post 145

The Beast of the Number

This I can confirm: the journal was always intended to be part of the Guide, right from the beginning. We started (circa 1997) calling them Web Diaries, but decided that both that term and the then new "Web Logs" were too clumsy, hence our choosing the title Journal. The bit we didn't twig was that, shortly thereafter, "Web Log" would contract nicely to "Blog". Thus is history made...

Richard

Post 146

Pastey

Cheers Richard!

Can we ask though, do you think we should get some mammoth powered servers? Or stick with the hampster and gnome power?

smiley - rose

Post 147

Mrs Zen

Ooohhhhh, Interesting, Richard. Thank you. smiley - ok

Post 148

Z

So, shall we ask the smiley - mammoth if he likes the idea of running a server?

Post 149

Baron Grim

WHEE smiley - applause we now have smiley - mammoths.

Post 150

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

We have smiley - mammoth? Squeee!!

*stamps on the smiley - elfs*

When can we have an ?

Post 151

Little Lost Mammoth

The mammoth begins to *sniff out the gnomes*

Post 152

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Remember how the old Eds started closing Announcement threads because there was so much chat and then people were concerned about missing anything important that got said? smiley - whistle

Was there anything I should have read in the last 5 pages of overnight backlog? smiley - winkeye

Post 153

Little Lost Mammoth

Nothing at all.

smiley - mammoth

Post 154

KB

Maybe you did kea, maybe you didn't. As one of the "over one-half of a million readers" who wouldn't understand a bloody word of it, it's hard for me to tell you though. smiley - winkeye

Handy time to unsub though. smiley - ok

Post 155

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Except this post, which I did miss and only saw now because it was linked to elsewhere: http://h2g2.com/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F21546918?thread=8285371&post=110480623#p110480598 ? Where did that come from?

Post 156

>>Handy time to unsub though

Only if there's nothing important going to be said again, esp from the other side of the fence... what the hell are they called anyway?

Post 157

Malabarista - now with added pony

Mammoths. They're like elephants, only hairier.

Post 158

KB

I've no idea what you mean, kea. smiley - laugh

Post 159

Effers;England.

I have a mammoth's tooth in my bathroom.

My aunty got it from a guy dragging gravel pits in the area of Kent in which we lived.

It's massive and brilliant.

Post 160

KB, I mean this is an Announcement thread. Traditionally, the Eds would start one, and sometimes come back and say things during the thread. Important things. Then it got to the point that some people were missing those important things because of the pages of silly talk.

So, now, we have the people making the Announcements, but we also have all sorts of other people involved with running the site. They're all on the other side of the fence from the wider community, in that they have access to information, processes and tools that the wider community doesn't. If they say something important in this thread, it's easy for it to get lost.

We don't appear to have a collective name for the people on the other side of the fence.

Or: Announcements threads should be kept relatively clear of silly and off topic conversations so that those of us subbed to them for Announcement purposes don't get annoyed smiley - winkeye (or miss the important bits).

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more