This is the Message Centre for h2g2 Communications

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 1

Mrs Zen

We're currently collating Qs for our FAQs and for our other documentation.

If you have a question you want included, then drop it in here please.

We won't answer questions here, we'll publish them (probably later this week with more early next week) in a page created by the H2G2 Future account - U14914070.

smiley - magic

B

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 2

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I posted a question on the Interim Team page about accounts that lost access during the bbcID upgrade last year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F21537567?thread=8244416 Sorry I'm jumping the gun here, and I know the techs are very busy... Can anyone say if anything can be done about access to accounts that were lost during the bbcID upgrade? I'm not talking about ones that missed the upgrade but those of us that tried to upgrade and lost access to our accounts in the process. I tried to sort mine out with the Eds last year, but got bogged down in the details. There is an A page that I should get transferred to another account if I'm going to lose permanent access to the A page creator account. I don't know if it's safe to leave this until after we move, or if it should be done before. I also have a few accounts that would be nice to access again, but I'm aware that some people lost access to their primary accounts. If it can wait, I'm happy to wait. But if it needs to be done before leaving bbcID then I'd like to start sorting out the details from my end. I think it would also be good to know if the accounts that lost their access because they didn't upgrade will become available again. I know you might not be able to answer that yet, and there will be more FAQs at some point, so just raising a flag really. tia, kea.

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Q: Will the move enable us to "roll back" the restrictions the BBC have imposed on us? (Shortening of names etc. and (attempted) loss of "Skins" recently; stopping us putting our own images on our Personal Spaces way back when...)

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

(Since it's likely that each question will only appear once, shouldn't this thread be titled "AQs"? smiley - erm)

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 5

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

(but they're being asked frequently over the site, so FAQs still works smiley - tongueout)

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 6

Geggs

As Noesis, according to the Successful Bid announcement, have experience in moderating multilingual sites, will they be handling the moderation on noohootoo?

And will noohootoo be multilingual, or still English only?

Geggs

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 7

"And will noohootoo be multilingual, or still English only?"

That one also fits into the "rolling back BBC restrictions" category.

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 8

Is there anything we can do about the researchers who access hootoo from work but only because it's on the bbc?

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 9

h2g2 Communications

Actually Asked Questions I've seen since the announcements:

Were there other bidders?

How will we be transitioned?

Can I get my old u number back?

When *exactly* must h2g2 content be off the BCC servers?

smiley - smiley
Happy Nerd

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 10

Rosemary - reincarnated courtesy of BBCiD

As well as those accounts that got lost in translation with BBCiD, any chance of being able to merge accounts back for those of us who were AWOL during the period so have a pre and post BBCiD account?

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 11

Mrs Zen

Will digibox users have the same access, better access or worse access than with the BBC?

See Nick's post here: F21537567?thread=8244224&show=20&skip=20#p109483903

smiley - magic

Ben

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 12

I'm surprised at how few questions there are.

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 13

Mrs Zen

2legs is going through the two announcement threads and pulling out the questions that were asked in them; I think he may also be seeing what else he can find in journals and things.

There was a LOT of work done on making the announcements as comprehensive as possible without making them too wordy. smiley - smiley The aim was to answer as many questions in the announcements themselves as we could manage.

Ben

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 14

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

There really have been so many threads, I imagine it is hard for a lot of people to find the ones they are most interested in. I will return here later in my day to read the FAQ's, and if I have anything, I will let you know

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 15

I could help with that kind of onsite stuff Ben. Let me know if there's anything else.

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 16

Mrs Zen

That would be great. Just doing what I've done and adding questions that you spot in other threads to this list would be a huge help.

Ben

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 17

smiley - ok

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 18

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I've gone through the two announcement threads, and there really arn't that*many questions... smiley - weird
Some of the ones Ifound in those announcement threads have already been asked again in this thread; Other questions are just very simular to each other, as it seems to be a simular set of concerns spawning the questions... I'm still looking round though, just in case there is a hidden journal entry somewhere with someone going mad with worry and there questions just hidden out of the public gaze... smiley - zen

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 19

Mrs Zen

smiley - smooch

I've picked up another from an adjacent thread:

>> What are the groups that we might have already joined? Can't see anything about groups on the forum page.

>> What's the reason for setting up the volunteer groups offsite? Will they be publicaly visible?

F21537567?thread=8244224?thread=&show=20&skip=40#p109494048

H2G2 Future - FAQs

Post 20

Q: Will the "New" h2g2 keep our data safe? (i.e., for example, by *not* sending our email address to Facebook as we log in to see if we already have an account there, like I suspect the BBC did when they were migrating us to BBC iD... smiley - grr)

Key: Complain about this post

H2G2 Future - FAQs

More Conversations for h2g2 Communications

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more