This is the Message Centre for Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 1

Bluebottle

A87955410 Whittier, Alaska, USA: The Town Under One Roof
I'll be subbing the above, so please subscribe
In the US are there specific rules over what constitutes a 'town'?
I the UK a hamlet is a small settlement
A village is a settlement with a church.
A town is a settlement with a church and market.
A city is a settlement with a cathedral or charter/letters patent granting it city status.

<BB<

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 2

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

The short answer is 'no'. The longer answer is that some states do specify rules for 'towns'.

Here's the Whittier government page: http://www.whittieralaska.gov/

That page refers to Whittier as a 'community', a 'city', and a 'village'. It has 218 people in it. smiley - headhurts NPR called it a 'town'.

To make it worse, I live in a 'borough', which is Pennsylvania for 'town' or 'small city'. The borough is in a 'township', which is in a bigger unit called a 'county'. But in Alaska, a 'borough' is what a 'county' is in the other states. Except Louisiana, of course. In Louisiana, a county is a 'parish'. smiley - winkeye Most of Alaska is part of the 'Unorganized Borough'.

May I suggest that we refrain from addressing this issue in any way whatsoever? It makes no difference to the residents and will make our international readership get a headache.

Also, please do not attempt to insert that bad pun. It hurts my inner ears, as 'Whittier' is pronounced with a short 'i'. smiley - rofl

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 3

Bluebottle

But surely a 'borough' is a walled settlement, from 'burh'/'burg' meaning castle? Whereas a parish is the ecclesiastical area belonging to a specific church within a diocese.

<BB<

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 4

smiley - rofl Those definitions don't work in the US, which has much more diversity in founders. smiley - winkeye You never know what you'll get.

Do you remember the Homestead Strike? This was a labour dispute in western Pennsylvania, outside Pittsburgh. Homestead has a mayor now, but used to have a burgomaster. (Germans.)

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 5

Bluebottle

Isn't a Burgomaster someone who works at smiley - burger King?

<BB<

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 6

smiley - rofl

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 7

Bluebottle

I do have some questions about this, if I may?

Can you get from Begich Towers to the apartment block without going outside? Is there a covered linkway? Also, what happened to the Buckner Building? By disrepair do you mean that it has completely collapsed and is little more than a pile of rubble, or that it needs a good vacuuming and maybe some new curtains?

When you describe Whittier as the 'wettest city', shall we change 'city' to 'town' to remain consistent?

Did you know that Princess Cruises, as part of Carnival, have their headquarters down the road from where I work? Gurt big ugly building, it is, too.

<BB<

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 8

1. No, you can't go to the apartment complex without going outside, as far as I can tell.

2. The Buckner Building has no windows or doors, is constantly freezing and thawing, and is in horrible shape. It has a fence around it. Whittier has done some repairs and would like to save it for historical reasons, but the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation wants to tear it down. Do not put any of this information in the entry.

3. Go ahead and change 'city' to 'town' if it makes you happy.

4. Those cruise people are in bad odour in the US right now. They've had some, er, incidents with their boats in the Caribbean.

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 9

Bluebottle

They've not had positive publicity here after it was revealed that they like dumping oil into the English Channel a couple of years ago…

<BB<

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 10

Bluebottle

Thinking about it – Whittier has 220 inhabitants in one building – that's a mid-size halls of residence.smiley - prof

<BB<

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 11

smiley - laugh That's about right.

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 12

Bluebottle

Still, would you like to do the thorough read-through bit now, and let me know your thoughts?smiley - brr

<BB<

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 13

Did, done, okay. smiley - ok

A Whittier shade of Pale

Post 14

Bluebottle

Okay then, button pressed!
Until next time…

<BB<

A Whittier shade of Pale